• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Fiberglass-Faced Foam Boards and Aircraft Use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnycowboy

Hi all,
I've been researching building a Wainfan Facetmobile copy - NASA PAV version with the flat foam/honeycomb panels. In order to reduce costs, I have been looking at facing blue DOW foam with fiberglass (hand-laid).

However the research I've done identified two new products that could be interesting for use, namely construction-grade fiberglass-faced 1/2 foam panels. The two I've found so far are:
  • IKO IKOTherm Covershield: 1/2" poly-iso foam faced on both sides with fiberglass, 90 psi compressive strength.
  • Firestone ISOGARD HD: 1/2" poly-iso foam faced on only one side with fiberglass, 120 psi compressive strength.
Both of these boards come in 4'x8' sheets and weight around 11 lbs each. Cost is around 15-20$/sheet.

Links:

As I said I want to build a Facetmobile with foam-core or honeycomb construction as detailed in Wainfan's PAV report. I think using these panels, doubled-up (epoxy them together as a 1" nominal thickness) as the structural walls, along with a single-layer outer skin (top & bottom) could be a lot cheaper than using the aircraft grade sheets of honeycomb found at TEKLAM (~600-1000$/sheet).

Poly-iso foam in particular cannot be hot-wired, which is a disadvantage but it can be routed (which I would do with a CNC panel router for this project).

Any comments on these boards? Good idea or bad? I'd use a build-up at the intersecting joints with foam and fiberglass in a L-flange shape.

thanks
Jonathan

Back