new engine supplier: based on suzuki engines

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

alr

Based on the bore and stroke it is probably based on the Daihatsu 1KR series of engines, such as the 1KR-FE and 1KR-VET. Those engines are used in a variety of models from several manufacturers, though most seem to be from Toyota. (Daihatsu is owned by Toyota.)

What puzzles me is that the Aeromomentum website lists the AM10 as 85 HP at 6000 rpm, but none of the naturally aspirated versions of the 1KR series that I can find on the web come close to matching that horsepower rating. (The 1KR-VET is rated at almost 100 HP, which is more than 85 HP, but that version of the engine is turbocharged.)

Also, some information lists the AM10 at 75 HP at 6000 rpm (which seems almost believable to me, though even that is higher than other naturally aspirated versions of the motor) and some lists it at 85 HP at 6000 rpm (which is hard for me to believe.) I am not aware of any naturally aspirated 1.0L motor that achieves 85 HP. On the other hand, there is a video on youtube which documents ~85 HP for the Aeromomentum engine, so it is all very confusing to me.
I communicated with the company, and they just replied and assured me about the ~85 HP figure.

alr

AM have made it clear that they blueprint and generally improve there engines, eg: it's not an off the shelf manufacturer's 75hp unit.
That brings up the question of whether Aeromomentum supplies the blueprinted version as their standard offering. I assume that they do, given that this is what they are showing on their web page, but it would be nice to have confirmation.

BJC

HBA Supporter
That brings up the question of whether Aeromomentum supplies the blueprinted version as their standard offering. I assume that they do, given that this is what they are showing on their web page, but it would be nice to have confirmation.
Just ask Aeromomentum, a member here.

BJC

Last edited:

daveklingler

The answer is "yes".

If you'd like, you could go back and read the thread. The "blueprinted" engines are the only ones they produce; hence, there is only one "standard".

aeromomentum

Sorry about the confusion on our web site. The base engine we start with is factory rated 74 hp SAE J1349. SAE J1349 uses 77 degrees F and 29.24 inhg. As everyone knows an FAA standard day is 59 degrees F and 29.92 inhg. Adjusted to an FAA standard day this same engine is 78.4hp. The gearbox loss is about 1 hp so net to the prop is 77.4hp. We like to be conservative in our ratings so we called this 75hp based on the stock engine rating. This is what the power would have been if we had kept the engine fully stock and with the automotive exhaust system.

We then changed the exhaust system to a tuned header, did some other changes and tuned to best power on our dyno. We measured 89.5 hp at 6000 rpm SAE J1349 at the crank. Again the loss is about 1 hp in the gearbox so have 88.5hp at the prop. This is actually 93.7hp at the prop adjusted to FAA standard day. Again we are conservative in our 85hp rating.

In general if you want to check for BS you can use a horse power calculator like: Horsepower calculator

alr

Sorry about the confusion on our web site. The base engine we start with is factory rated 74 hp SAE J1349. SAE J1349 uses 77 degrees F and 29.24 inhg. As everyone knows an FAA standard day is 59 degrees F and 29.92 inhg. Adjusted to an FAA standard day this same engine is 78.4hp. The gearbox loss is about 1 hp so net to the prop is 77.4hp. We like to be conservative in our ratings so we called this 75hp based on the stock engine rating. This is what the power would have been if we had kept the engine fully stock and with the automotive exhaust system.

We then changed the exhaust system to a tuned header, did some other changes and tuned to best power on our dyno. We measured 89.5 hp at 6000 rpm SAE J1349 at the crank. Again the loss is about 1 hp in the gearbox so have 88.5hp at the prop. This is actually 93.7hp at the prop adjusted to FAA standard day. Again we are conservative in our 85hp rating.

In general if you want to check for BS you can use a horse power calculator like: Horsepower calculator
Thanks. Very informative.

TFF

One you don’t want and one you can’t have. What kind of choice is that. I say, I say that’s a joke people.

sotaro

I remember reading some little blurb a while back that as a promotional demonstration (pronounced "publicity stunt") some guy from Ford put an Ecoboost engine block in his carry-on luggage on a flight somewhere ??? Could they have done that stunt with a cast iron block, or was that an aluminum prototype?
I remember reading the car magazines when it was introduced. They mentioned putting it in their luggage. I don't remember carry on. I am pretty sure the block was 88 lbs, as I remember. Memory being a fickle thing, you might want to investigate further.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have any 3D models of any of these engines? I don't want proprietary manufacturing stuff. Just a simple interface lump. Most interested in the 3 cylinder model. I thought there would be a generic model out there of the suzuki 1.0 L engine but no luck. I have aeromomentum's 3 views. Lot of work to get it there but I am willing. Still futzing around with the Facet Opal.

aeromomentum

I remember reading the car magazines when it was introduced. They mentioned putting it in their luggage. I don't remember carry on. I am pretty sure the block was 88 lbs, as I remember. Memory being a fickle thing, you might want to investigate further.
Our AM13 block is 31.5 lbs. Not carry on but definitely you can have it in your checked baggage. The long block is 115 lbs.