Quantcast

New Engine design ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Clever engine, but I'm not sure it's new.

I bet @cheapracer probably could name some opposed-piston configuration similar to this from history off the top of his head.

cheapracer

Log Member
Oh wait, it's a cam or swashplate type opposed engine, yes there's been plenty., a whole bunch of them here ..

the first one is 1906 :)

Bille Floyd

the first one is 1906 :)

That axial engine , could'a bin had for $-2k ; way back then !!

It looks So COOL !!!!!! ...

Bille

Hephaestus

Notice it's designed as a range extender... So a big ass generator. It could be fun to play with.

Andy_RR

Looks like they've taken every difficult-to-master engine idea ever and added a few unique twists of their own.

I'm guessing that any thermodynamic advantage it has is due to the opposed piston arrangement (surface/volume ratio benefits, mostly) and downsizing. The problem with any high-power density engine with a configuration like this is you have limited your cooling opportunities, made the problem hugely asymmetric and then stuck all the critical moving parts into this really hot region of the engine. Then you're relying on piston porting for gas exchange which makes oil control/consumption a huge headache as well as adding probably insurmountable bore distortion complications.

There's nothing about this engine that's impossible but there's everything about it that is really difficult to engineer!

rv7charlie

I won't be an investor, but to the complexity issue, anybody looked at the current art in 'conventional' car engines?

Urquiola

There have been lots of Barrel engines, one of them the 'Alfaro', you can consult 'El motor de aviacion A a Z', by Ricard Miguel Vidal, from Aeroteca Barcelona, open consultation to AEHS members, or the classic by J K Setright, 'Some unusual engines', download link in ResearchGate.
In the field of mechanical oddities, lots exist in the site by Douglas Self, the only you can trust is Wankel rotary engine. Blessings +