New electric project

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
My Xenos will stay aloft with 10kW, and the Sonex has 1/2 the wing and 1/2 the L/D, but weighs about 100lbs less. So I'm wag'ing double the the cruise power.
No, the Sonex will have less drag than the Xenos at the Sonex max cruise speed.
The Xenos is optimized for low speed L/D with low minimum sink. The Sonex is optimized for cruise.
The Sonex has less wetted area (wing area), so less drag and higher L/D than Xenos at high speed at sea level.

emotodude

No, the Sonex will have less drag than the Xenos at the Sonex max cruise speed.
The Xenos is optimized for low speed L/D with low minimum sink. The Sonex is optimized for cruise.
The Sonex has less wetted area (wing area), so less drag and higher L/D than Xenos at high speed at sea level.

You correctly qualify this as "at the Sonex max cruise speed". What I meant was at "each aircrafts most efficient cruise speed". For the Xenos this is somewhere around 55kts. For the Sonex will be maybe 60-65kts (need data).

I have already generated the power/speed curve for my Xenos. What we need is the same data for the Sonex. Almost certainly the Xenos will be more efficient at lower speeds, and the Sonex at higher speeds. What will be most interesting is determining at what speed these curves cross.

I'm gonna guess about 80kts, but we'll find out :)

1653852057116.png

Last edited: