New Electric Motor from Mahle

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

paraplane

This may have been posted on before but here is a link to a YouTube video from the I.C.E. parts manufacturer Mahle,

It looks like this is using the principle of an alternator. I don't know the weight this would be interesting to learn as charged wires vs. permanent magnets could vary largely in weight difference.

tspear

Very cool sounding. What I wonder is how they get the efficiency number when they are effectively using electricity to create both the magnetic field for the stator and rotor.

Tim

dog

Very cool sounding. What I wonder is how they get the efficiency number when they are effectively using electricity to create both the magnetic field for the stator and rotor.

Tim
The efficiency number is ,ok,but not as good as
a permanant magnet motor.The inovation is the brushless field magnets which need very little power to run.
The question for aviation is:can this be done with absolute reliability such as found in a permanent magnet?Answer ,no.
So loss of efficiency and reliability compared to
permanant magnet electric motors,also will be
heavier.

henryk

electricity to create both the magnetic field for the stator and rotor.
much simpler=SR Motor=ONLY stator windings,
rotor=clean ferromagnetic (Fe)...

=data similar to BLDC and PM motors !

BTW=new,very interesting,compact Motor Controller =

Last edited:

paraplane

Fun that you provide a link to mountain board seller. I got into mountain boarding actually before they had been motorized in mass. Back in the early 2000's actually I first rode in I think 98 or 99. Tramps wasn't around back then. I've looked at they're boards and they are pretty nice. I don't do mountain boarding now because it's a brutal thrashing if you crash. I'm not in good enough shape to go big as I'd want doing that. I have Mahle pistons in my ultralight motor with Solo 210's and they are very high quality from what I understand. Mahle has also developed a very cool ignition design that I may use in the future for spark ignited multifuel rotary build. I think the Quickie Q1 and a design by I think the designers name is/was Leon Robbins that utilized a Vtwin Briggs would be correct for smallish electric power plant. That and many ultralight say Lazair or nano trikes and motorized paraglider. It's a little ways off still for LSA and small C150 or four place electric planes with range. Though we should be seeing this field is grow very fast.

paraplane

Fun that you provide a link to mountain board seller. I got into mountain boarding actually before they had been motorized in mass. Back in the early 2000's actually I first rode in I think 98 or 99. I've looked at Trampa they're boards are pretty nice. I don't do mountain boarding now because it's a brutal thrashing if you crash. I'm not in good enough shape to go big as I'd want doing that. I have Mahle pistons in my ultralight motor with Solo 210's and they are very high quality from what I understand. Mahle has also developed a very cool ignition design that I may use in the future for spark ignited multifuel rotary build. I think the Quickie Q1 and a design by I think the designers name is/was Leon Robbins that utilized a Vtwin Briggs would be correct for smallish electric power plant. That and many ultralight say Lazair or nano trikes and motorized paraglider. It's a little ways off still for LSA and small C150 or four place electric planes with range. Though I think we are seeing this field is growing pretty fast.

paraplane

I wrote Leon Robbins he's a professional mountain boarder for MBS. The Aircraft Designer/Builder name is Leon Davis and I think the Aircraft I was referencing is the D-11? I think he produced only one however and don't know of plans for sale unlike another two place design of his.