New Corvair Powered Airplane - The Saberwing by Azalea Aviation LLC

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill Clapp

Hello All,

For the last couple years we have been designing and working on a cross country airplane...The SABERWING. It is an amateur build aircraft that works to bring simplicity into design and function. There are pictures on my profile page and much more data on our website. azaleaaviation.com You can find several videos related to some of the flying and pages dedicated to stats and performance. We are almost through with the 40 hour test phase dictated by the FAA but are doing much more testing as we move forward. We are bringing the airplane to the public in kit form and will introduce it at Sun n Fun 2015. The airplane is a pleasure to fly and has an amazing view. I hope you get to see it in person.

Bill Clapp
CEO Azalea Aviation LLC

Last edited:

Bill Clapp

[video=youtube_share;Q5YaDaL7Nzk]http://youtu.be/Q5YaDaL7Nzk[/video]

A good video about the Saberwing Prototype in action.....more videos on our website azaleaaviation.com. Also check out our Facebook page!

Also, come see the Saberwing at Sun n Fun 2015! Booth N-008 this year.

Bill Clapp

Our Spyder conversion in the Saberwing....image.jpgThe front deck is also removed for routine maintenance. I think I was installing a new manifold pressure gauge. Easy to care for this bird. All major components are easy to reach and remove ....by design!

TinBender

All major components are easy to reach and remove ....by design!
One of the reasons I became an aircraft mechanic before I went to engineering school was to learn how to apply this principle! Beautiful aircraft. I am impressed with the work on your new 120 HP engine, too.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Very nice bird Bill, that plane would be FUN IN THE SUN:nervous:

cheapracer

Log Member
Our parallels in concepts, design and presentation/thinking are enough for me to put this post here now to not be later accused of drawing from you.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Congratulations on a beautiful aircraft. I wish you great success.

Although I understand why it was done the way it is done now, I would still humbly suggest that you do a mock-up or computer model using a taller set of landing gear legs. The KR-2 style legs that are under the prototype as shown in the photo can significantly hurt your sales and marketing in my opinion. Never underestimate the effect of aesthetics on the buyer, or how one aesthetic feature can affect the potential size of your market.

A sincere and humbe suggestion is that a landing gear that is 8 inches taller than what is shown in the photo (regardless of whether you have enough prop clearance as it is now) will make an attractive airplane much more attractive... and appeal to a much larger number of potential buyers.

I truly do not want to diminish what you have accomplished... the Saberwing is gorgeous. But I'm speaking from hard-won personal experience: I designed and FAA certified a product that makes a truly significant improvement in the safety and performance of a lot of airplanes. Form followed function, but the device looked like a walking stick or cane for an old geezer. A very large percentage of pilots have a visceral negative reaction to it and it is very hard to sell until I get them to try it.

If it were not for the immediate negative emotional reaction many pil ots have when they see this, my sales would be 3-4X higher than they are. On the other hand, the product I'm developing now makes an average airplane look much more macho and it sits taller off the ground, and I have people waiting in line for it to be certified.

This has been a really hard lesson for me. So if you can do something relatively easily that makes people drool a little more, even if the airplane doesn't actually need it... I'd say do it. There's a reason 90% of the top movie actresses in Hollywood have fake boobs :)

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
with the tail up, level vertically at fire wall, what is the prop tip clearance from run way? just curious

cheapracer

Log Member
The KR-2 style legs that are under the prototype as shown
Really? I quite like that look! It's not the only KR2 influence in the plane either, obviously (presumption) there was a KR2 somewhere in the past.

Love the headrest strengthening bar too, multi-functioning is always a bonus.

There's a reason 90% of the top movie actresses in Hollywood have fake boobs :)
Say what? They're all natural, I'm certain .....

Bill Clapp

We do have other gear for this design. The actual kit gear leg is longer (you can choose the length within a few inches. I chose this for the look and safety for first flights. it forces slightly higher landing speeds and increases visibility. Now I find that that was not a big issue so we will put the longer gear on it when the plane comes into the shop for repaint. That will be after Sun n Fun and before Oshkosh. The LSA bird and out mockup have a tricycle gear format. Take into consideration that the plane is designed to have an 0320 on it with longer prop.....Just not with this gear. I understand the advise and thank you.

Bill Clapp

Remember that I am running a 54" prop so have about 8" of ground clearance...more than enough for what I am doing. Yes - I owned a KR2S (look up N41768 - cover of Sport Aviation Dec 2006). This design has some of the simplicity with less drawbacks (like 32" cabin)....this one has a 43" wide cabin, adjustable rudder pedals, 500 hour build time, you can be 6'3" and fit...better visibility, quieter, easier to maintain, less parts count, higher payload....shall I go on?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
It was fairly clear to me that there was indeed a KR-2 somewhere nearby in the DNA chain, but I did not want to appear accusatory or disrespectful. There's plenty of room for improvement in the KR-2, and this aircraft may represent a lot of those improvements. That's a good thing. 32 inches of cabin width in the KR-2... that's just about comfy for my well-fed arse as a single seater!

Also, I noticed form the photo that your horizontal tail is displaced rearward a little, leaving more of the vertical fin available to provide "corrective force" in the event of a spin. Good thinking, I support that 100%. There are too many airplanes that overlook the "blanking" effect that the H-stab can have on the V-stab during a spin.

And BJC, your research internship approval is pending, but I have some sad news for you. I came from Hollywood and that whole showbiz thing in another lifetime. If you saw some of these folks walking down the street without all the makeup and coiffure and wardrobe, you wouldn't look twice. A few of them you'd look away.

Reactions: BJC

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Remember that I am running a 54" prop so have about 8" of ground clearance...more than enough for what I am doing. Yes - I owned a KR2S (look up N41768 - cover of Sport Aviation Dec 2006). This design has some of the simplicity with less drawbacks (like 32" cabin)....this one has a 43" wide cabin, adjustable rudder pedals, 500 hour build time, you can be 6'3" and fit...better visibility, quieter, easier to maintain, less parts count, higher payload....shall I go on?
I was wondering when someone would finally re-do the KR-2 as a modernized design. At first glance, a really nice airplane. Congratulations!

Aviator168

I was wondering when someone would finally re-do the KR-2 as a modernized design. At first glance, a really nice airplane. Congratulations!
This is actually a better "re-do" of kr2s than the kr super 2. At least, it is flying. Wish the OP can disclose more build detail like what is on the kr super 2 site.

Bill Clapp

There is very little that is KR in the fuse other than the fact that I use a similar spar design and loading that the KR had. it is a box beam spar but capable of higher loading. The fuselage is 20 feet long- more stable and allows for bigger engine packages and better CG stability. The fuse is all composite and made up of just three main pieces. You have to check out the website for better info. Yes, we use a honeycomb or a composite board to make the ribs for the Horizontal and wing ribs. We are making all our composite parts using a vacuum infusion epoxy process. We are now into producing parts for the first kit that we will deliver before Sun n Fun. Our first buyer hopes to fly this year. That is how easy it is to build. I did an assembly of one of our fuselages this week and had it on gear and sitting in it in two days. This helps motivate people to finish when they can see the dream come together.....that is one of our goals. The KR was a 2000 hour build from scratch. We designed for about 500.
We also spent the last two years tooling as we finished the prototype so that we could get airplanes #2 (an LSA version) and #3 (higher hp - maybe retracts) into the air for next year. Once we are into full production of kits after Sun n Fun I will be doing more flying and working on the next two new designs -- a twin version and a twin amphibian (radically different)