new and a question

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

glenn l

Hi guys, new here but unfortunately i don't have a plane or project, but i do have a aero related question.
I have a lpe400 series turbo engine block, it is based aluminium on a 400ci small block chevrolet v8 but has deeper pan rails and cross bolt mains, (not a gen 3 block).
I believe these were made for planes, and there was also a lpe600 series, that was based on a 670ci big block chevrolet.
The only info i can find on this block is from Dave Williams list of engine weight and size.
Can anyone give me some information on this block or the company that made them.
thanks in advance Glenn.

TFF

LPE stands for Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. I would call them up and ask what block you have.

TFF

There might be two companies with the same initials. Only a few companies could actually make a block whoever had the name on the side pre CNC. Lingenfelter may or may not have had that capability at the time. Usually these are lateral applications, I would look at off shore racing of that time.

glenn l

Are you sure? I think it stood for Light Power Engineering. I seem to remember them trying to make these aviation v8's back in the eighties. Inverting them as well, I think.
thanks raymondbird, have heard light power engineering but can't find anything on them, do you know if they still exist?, when you say inverting them what do you mean by that

raymondbird

Supporting Member
thanks raymondbird, have heard light power engineering but can't find anything on them, do you know if they still exist?, when you say inverting them what do you mean by that
Oh, they would be long gone I'm afraid. I might still have their brochures stored away somewhere if you're interested. Was very interested at the time but they were very expensive I remember. Yes, the direct drive versions were advertised as inverted. For prop clearance reasons, I guess.

glenn l

Oh, they would be long gone I'm afraid. I might still have their brochures stored away somewhere if you're interested. Was very interested at the time but they were very expensive I remember. Yes, the direct drive versions were advertised as inverted. For prop clearance reasons, I guess.
raymondbird thanks for that info, if it's no problem for the brochures that would be great.