• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New airfoil website

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3V152

Supporting Member
Hello everyone,

I was trying to find a nice airfoil my homebuilt plane, then things got a little out of hand and I ended up making a website with all of the airfoils I could find, all of their JavaFoil-computed data for varying Re, Mach, roughness, flap setting, etc... and where I could find it, wind tunnel and CFD data. So now I have 5318 airfoils and many many GB of data cataloged.

BigFoil

The sections presented herein are provided largely by the UIUC Airfoil Coordinates Database or generated programmatically by Martin Hepperle's JavaFoil. A handful of sections were sourced from NACA-TR-824 and other freely available sources.
For each shape, scripted JavaFoil batch runs were used to compute the lift, drag, and moment polars for a variety of Reynolds numbers, Mach numbers, surface roughnesses. Data was also generated for plain flapped sections with varying chord length and deflection angle.
Where available, wind tunnel data has been imported, largely from the UIUC Low-Speed Airfoil Tests and NACA-TR-824.
CFD data has also been imported for a select number of airfoils, such as for NACA0012 from the NASA Langley Turbulence Modeling Resource.

For each airfoil, I share the DAT and DXF files, show the parameters for a Venkataraman (four-spline) fit, list the top 20 most similarly-shaped airfoils, and show this data:
Cl vs alpha, Cd vs alpha, Cm vs alpha, Cl/Cd vs alpha, Cd vs Cl - and cubic curve fits for these.
The above data, plotted for various Mach numbers to examine compressibility effects.
The above data, plotted for various surface roughnesses.
Data for plain-flapped sections of a variety of flap lengths and flap deflections. This data can be used to approximate aileron effects.

To aid in selecting airfoils, I present a visual catalog showing every airfoil, and there is a "Big Table" showing data like airfoil family, thickness, Cl max, Cl/Cd max, and Cd at various lift coefficients.
There is also a tool for comparing airfoil shapes, a Re and Mach calculator, and a tool to interrogate the database to find and compare data for airfoils.

I hope you all enjoy it. Please contact me or share in this thread any issues, comments, or suggestions.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back