New airfoil website

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

3V152

HBA Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hello everyone,

I was trying to find a nice airfoil my homebuilt plane, then things got a little out of hand and I ended up making a website with all of the airfoils I could find, all of their JavaFoil-computed data for varying Re, Mach, roughness, flap setting, etc... and where I could find it, wind tunnel and CFD data. So now I have 5318 airfoils and many many GB of data cataloged.

BigFoil

The sections presented herein are provided largely by the UIUC Airfoil Coordinates Database or generated programmatically by Martin Hepperle's JavaFoil. A handful of sections were sourced from NACA-TR-824 and other freely available sources.
For each shape, scripted JavaFoil batch runs were used to compute the lift, drag, and moment polars for a variety of Reynolds numbers, Mach numbers, surface roughnesses. Data was also generated for plain flapped sections with varying chord length and deflection angle.
Where available, wind tunnel data has been imported, largely from the UIUC Low-Speed Airfoil Tests and NACA-TR-824.
CFD data has also been imported for a select number of airfoils, such as for NACA0012 from the NASA Langley Turbulence Modeling Resource.

For each airfoil, I share the DAT and DXF files, show the parameters for a Venkataraman (four-spline) fit, list the top 20 most similarly-shaped airfoils, and show this data:
Cl vs alpha, Cd vs alpha, Cm vs alpha, Cl/Cd vs alpha, Cd vs Cl - and cubic curve fits for these.
The above data, plotted for various Mach numbers to examine compressibility effects.
The above data, plotted for various surface roughnesses.
Data for plain-flapped sections of a variety of flap lengths and flap deflections. This data can be used to approximate aileron effects.

To aid in selecting airfoils, I present a visual catalog showing every airfoil, and there is a "Big Table" showing data like airfoil family, thickness, Cl max, Cl/Cd max, and Cd at various lift coefficients.
There is also a tool for comparing airfoil shapes, a Re and Mach calculator, and a tool to interrogate the database to find and compare data for airfoils.

I hope you all enjoy it. Please contact me or share in this thread any issues, comments, or suggestions.

-Mike

Last edited:

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
Well done!

Is there any chance that you could add some of the 7 series NACA airfoils such as the NACA 747-A415 and the -A315?

3V152

HBA Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well done!

Is there any chance that you could add some of the 7 series NACA airfoils such as the NACA 747-A415 and the -A315?

747A315 and 747A415 are in there, both categorized under “NACA”.

Both have NACA-TR-824 wind tunnel data which is a decent match to the JavaFoil data.

I am working on a better search feature, but right now under the Big Table page, you can search.

Here are direct links:

BigFoil

Thank you,

Mike

PiperCruisin

I was trying to find a nice airfoil my homebuilt plane, then things got a little out of hand and I ended up making a website with all of the airfoils I could find, all of their JavaFoil-computed data for varying Re, Mach, roughness, flap setting, etc... and where I could find it, wind tunnel and CFD data. So now I have 5318 airfoils and many many GB of data cataloged.

BigFoil
Nice. I'm going to be wasting a lot of time playing with this. I do like Javafoil. Airfoil Tools is a good site also, but that graph results look wonky.

2 Questions:
1. What kind of plane are you working on?
2. What would you do with the Venkataraman parameters? Maybe do some Monte Carlo runs to test tweaks to the airfoil? That would be cool.

Rich

3V152

HBA Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nice. I'm going to be wasting a lot of time playing with this. I do like Javafoil. Airfoil Tools is a good site also, but that graph results look wonky.

2 Questions:
1. What kind of plane are you working on?
2. What would you do with the Venkataraman parameters? Maybe do some Monte Carlo runs to test tweaks to the airfoil? That would be cool.

Rich
Thanks Rich
I am working on something most similar to a Glasair Sportsman. The Venkataraman parameters are useful for creating smooth CAD geometry compared to splining through an array of points. They can also be used for parametric optimization which I plan to do.

AJLiberatore

Hello everyone,

BigFoil

The sections presented herein are provided largely by the UIUC Airfoil Coordinates Database or generated programmatically by Martin Hepperle's JavaFoil. A handful of sections were sourced from NACA-TR-824 and other freely available sources.
For each shape, scripted JavaFoil batch runs were used to compute the lift, drag, and moment polars for a variety of Reynolds numbers, Mach numbers, surface roughnesses. Data was also generated for plain flapped sections with varying chord length and deflection angle.
Where available, wind tunnel data has been imported, largely from the UIUC Low-Speed Airfoil Tests and NACA-TR-824.
CFD data has also been imported for a select number of airfoils, such as for NACA0012 from the NASA Langley Turbulence Modeling Resource.

For each airfoil, I share the DAT and DXF files, show the parameters for a Venkataraman (four-spline) fit, list the top 20 most similarly-shaped airfoils, and show this data:
Cl vs alpha, Cd vs alpha, Cm vs alpha, Cl/Cd vs alpha, Cd vs Cl - and cubic curve fits for these.
The above data, plotted for various Mach numbers to examine compressibility effects.
The above data, plotted for various surface roughnesses.
Data for plain-flapped sections of a variety of flap lengths and flap deflections. This data can be used to approximate aileron effects.

To aid in selecting airfoils, I present a visual catalog showing every airfoil, and there is a "Big Table" showing data like airfoil family, thickness, Cl max, Cl/Cd max, and Cd at various lift coefficients.
There is also a tool for comparing airfoil shapes, a Re and Mach calculator, and a tool to interrogate the database to find and compare data for airfoils.

I hope you all enjoy it. Please contact me or share in this thread any issues, comments, or suggestions.

-Mike
Mike,
Outstanding. I say that as someone who has for quite a while reading, researching, and using all the free-bee airfoil software I can to learn more and about them. I get what you have done here and IMHO it is monumental. The compare feature is off the hook. If you could get Mike Shuck to give you his catalog that would be icing on the cake. The only 2 of interest I found missing and you may have them are the NACA 2r112 and the even harder to find De Havilland Mosquito sections . Thank You Sir.

PiperCruisin

Thanks Rich
I am working on something most similar to a Glasair Sportsman. The Venkataraman parameters are useful for creating smooth CAD geometry compared to splining through an array of points. They can also be used for parametric optimization which I plan to do.
Any hints on how to go from the Venkataraman parameters to create airfoil coordinates? I was looking on Venkataraman's site, but not finding it. I would like to take the Venkataraman parameters and vary some of them slightly to see the performance impact. Select the best on and do it again.

3V152

HBA Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Any hints on how to go from the Venkataraman parameters to create airfoil coordinates? I was looking on Venkataraman's site, but not finding it. I would like to take the Venkataraman parameters and vary some of them slightly to see the performance impact. Select the best on and do it again.
To convert from the Venkataraman parameters to coordinates for a DAT file or similar, I write out the parametric equation for each spline segment. These are parametrized by arc parameter “s”. varying s from 0 to 1 across, say, 100 points gives the x and y coordinates of each point.
I’ll write up the math and post it.

Moosedude

There's also airfoiltools.com It's more directed to the RC crowd with RE of 1,000,000 being the max, but they have almost every airfoil in the database. And I've found it super easy printing off the files at any size. No flap data, but still a useful tool. Thanks for this one though, it's pretty awesome