• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Aircraft or Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toweym

A few months ago I purchased a pile of parts to a Cassutt. The owner had no records just stacks of pictures, boxes of parts, etc. Speaking with the FAA you cannot build an experimental from parts since the reg. states the parts must be certified i.e. you can build a Piper from parts but not a homebuilt. That said, so long as I was willing to claim to have built everything, or had it done by someone else, I could apply to be the builder of a new airplane despite the fact the aircraft had already been flown. Now the guy I originally bought the parts from found the original data plate, the one thing the FAA stated I would need to make claim to the original aircraft. Adding to the fun the current registered owner, not the individual I purchased the parts from, deceased some time ago. I only have a bill of sale for 'Cassutt Aircraft Parts' with no reference to the particular plane on the data plate and the guy I bought them from doesn't want me to use the plate but just thought I would like to have it. (I think he's scared of liability)

The way I see it is I could go ahead with the 'new build', the pros being able to do my own annuals and having a complete set of logs. Of course the cons are having to pay a DAR and go through the pain of satisfying him. If I go the restoration route the pros would be no DAR (good friends with an IA) but the cons are incomplete logbooks and not able to do the annuals. Any other thoughts? Just looking for the path of least resistance -- not trying to hide anything.

Back