New aircraft - love it

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Grelly, Apr 15, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2012 #61

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

2. Jun 14, 2012 #62

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

3 seconds of actual flight video... well, at least that's better than vaporware...

3. Jun 14, 2012 #63

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Now I wonder... with that small wing within easy reach of the pilot (notice he has his hand out on the wing), how likely is his arm and hand to degrade the lift curve of that wing and affect the flight characteristics?

4. Jun 14, 2012 #64

DaveK

DaveK

DaveK

This reminds me of a surfing magazine. Lots of still shots that look incredible, but what you don't know is the next 5 frames after those stills shows the guy wiping out. But they never show those.

5. Jun 16, 2012 #65

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

I think that it is quite an acheivement in simple technical terms --the aircraft looks quite stable and obviously leaves the water of it's own accord and, presumably returned to it in one piece . The flight duration under power is unknown and might not be so much but basically it functions much as expected within at least a very restricted envelope to date -- give them sone credit for getting to the first step (and let's hope thay put some sort of aerodynamic enclosure around the pilot --having the propblast in his face with likely being wet as well doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

6. Jun 16, 2012 #66

4trade

4trade

4trade

If you calculate weight/ inch of wing, it will show how small that hand affect is for overall disturb. His hand is on a root, that is very turbulent area already. It canĀ“t affect much.

Designer have pretty much of design experience, and they have already 35 orders, so it might come at final shape and ready for production fast.

7. Jun 16, 2012 #67

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

The reason I'm not very confident in this is; why wouldn't they show more of the first flight. They have met and will continue to meet a lot of skepticism and they must be aware of that. No better way to shut all that down then by showing a larger portion of the flight, even if it's just a short hop.

I can think of but a single reason not to do so, you really don't want people to see what happened next. We've seen too many overhyped and over PR-ed products in aviation all ready.

Until they show a video of a flight lasting over 5 minutes, showing start, landing and some gentle stalls, I put this on my "vaporware" list.

The pitch oscillations BBerson noted are fairly large too...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  8. Jun 16, 2012 #68

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

Autoreply, If I take of from water with help of speedboat towing, then release from tow and fly using ground effect, I also would not show take of.. ;)

9. Jun 16, 2012 #69

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

10. Jun 17, 2012 #70

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

I think it'd be a pitch sensitive machine in any case, it's pretty much the same as the Ligeti Stratos in many respects and whenever I saw that flying it regularly jinked around in pitch.

Also that was the first Flynano flight presumably so the pilot really didn't have any feel for it in the first few seconds.

I've performed and also watched a number of first-of-type flights, and I'd like to say that mine were very smooth but I know they weren't and neither were the ones I watched. In fact even in proven designs first flights tend to be a bit shaky so I'm looking forward to seeing the next few - after they repair the damage of course...

11. Jul 5, 2012 #71

Lead Brick

Lead Brick

Lead Brick

Hummm...just seeing couple seconds of flight, looked to me like the CG was a tad too aft. But, yeah, I would have liked to seen it settle back on the water.

12. Jul 6, 2012 #72

larr

larr

larr

Hmmm ... whole new class of aircraft - flying kayak

13. Jul 6, 2012 #73

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Surely if they had been towed by a speedboat and cast off as alluded to there would be a boat wake visible ? I agree it is not encouraging to see no actual lift off or touch down --the Terrafugia videos tend to omit those bits as well (or might omit those that do not look good -- fewer landings than takeoffs is generally not considered a good thing ..)

As Allan notes the similarity to the Stratos is quite high --the thrust line is higher which makes for more stability under power but can be dangerous if power is lost (the Winton Sportsman case might be familiar to Allan --with a Htvc of only 0.15 it HAD to have a far aft Cg and high thrust moment to even trim in level flight but if turned,- power off would wrap into a self energizing spiral ) --the Stratos had a nose down thrust moment from the inflow over the strake in front of the ducted prop -the 'custer channel wing effect' which required more flap deflection on the front wing but also made it sensitive to power application --the crosswind case with the front wing sweep was the critical one . With the Flynano taking off on water the crosswind situation is avoided for now - opening up the flight envelope will tell .

14. Jul 6, 2012 #74

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

2000 ft plastic towline?

15. Nov 10, 2013 #75

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

No update to the Flynano website for nearly 18 months, since its one little hop (sans landing). Last they said was that the winter was about to freeze their test patch over but they'd be all go again as soon as it thawed which I guess should have been around March/April, eight months ago. So is this another project that's collected lots of deposits and is now dead in the water?

We have a fella in Oz who claims to be the designated Oz distributor and when questioned he indicated that production dates are 'still on target'.

Does anyone know anything else?