New 4 seat All Composite Airplane Kit from Brazil

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by PuertoRicoFlyer, Jul 13, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

I found out the original designer of the KIS Cruiser has flown a new all composite, low wing, 4 seat kit airplane in Brazil called the VOLARE 400. He is working for a Brazilian company and they will be announcing the kits for sale after they have completed the flight testing. This looks real promising. A great basic design backed by a company that seems to want to do things correctly from the begining.

[​IMG]

Looks SHARP! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Jul 13, 2011 #2

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

And I thought that Rich was on the beach at Ipanema! Thanks for your report...
    Blue skies,
    Tom

3. Jul 13, 2011 #3

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

Yea, Rich has not been just sitting around on the beach.

You can see the video of the airplane and the flight on Youtube.com by entering:

Volare 400

and 2 videos pops up.

[​IMG]

The airplane looks REAL NICE! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. Jul 13, 2011 #4

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

5. Jul 14, 2011 #5

jhausch

jhausch

jhausch

Looks nice. I wonder if they will be at OSH?

6. Jul 14, 2011 #6

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

I doubt it. The airplane just flew and it is still in Brazil so they don't have enough time to get it to OSH. But maybe to Sun-N-Fun next year. :cool:

7. Jan 23, 2014 #7

gugapostao

gugapostao

gugapostao

Hello Galin I am from Brazil and I met yesterday the onwer of the factory o VALARE 400 MR. ZIZO, Mr.Zizo.
    Mr.Zizo has a super KIS Cruizer or a Pulsa Super Cruiser to Sell and I would like to hear from about this airplane if is a good experimental to BUY ??? Wha are the cruise Speed ?

This aircraft that Mr.Zizo was selling was assembly by Rick and is using a 180 Hp, Please let me know more about it

Thaks so Much

Gustavo da Silva

8. Jan 24, 2014 #8

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Looks a lot like the Lancair/Wheeler Express/Columbia et al --can the market bear any more clones of this type? -it will inevitably come down to the cost of labour as the only differentiating factor and thus these things will be made only in low wage countries ( there was a Lancair production in the Philipines at one time but not sure if is still going --anybody know?) Carving up an already tiny market into a larger number of similar offerings leads to diseconomies of scale for everybody and scale is already the biggest problem --it would be nice if Brazil could use it's undoubted expertise in aviation to do something really new that would expand the market .

Pops, flyvulcan and bmcj like this.
  9. Jan 24, 2014 #9

Battson

Battson

Battson

There is a LOT of room to undercut them on price.

10. Jan 24, 2014 #10

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Rich Trickel, the designer of the Kis, has been dead for quite some time; RIP. He was a friend and a good man.

Tom

Holden likes this.
  11. Jan 24, 2014 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I agree. Not to point a finger at any particular designs, but the market is becoming diluted with too many clone sets to the point that none of them will be able to survive financially or provide any real means of long-lived customer support.

12. Jan 26, 2014 #12

aviast

aviast

aviast

I'd say it looks like an evolved KIS Cruiser :lick:

From what I've read I believe that basically sums up what happened to the KIS Cruiser. My understanding is that, after designing the successful KIS 2-seater, Rick Trickel was inundated by requests from many potential builders over a long period of time to develop a 4-seater along the same lines. So he developed the KIS Cruiser. Once it was ready for market all those potential builders disappeared...

The big difference between this and the Lancair/Wheeler Express/Columbia of course is the engine. Rich Trickel has developed some really nice aircraft that use reasonably-sized engines. The competition in this segment is really the Zodiac CH 640 (180hp, 4 seats).

Personally I was a huge fan of the KIS Cruiser since it first appeared (I was a teenager then) and I had hoped to one day get a chance to build one. I was really excited to see the Volare/Volato 400 appear on the scene a few years ago. I hope they have more success...

13. Jan 26, 2014 #13

saini flyer

saini flyer

saini flyer

Instead of the clone of Lancair/Wheeler Express/Columbia, I can really use a clone of MCR4s/pickup (http://www.dynaero.com/).... real 4 seater with 100HP on this side of the pond at the price point of a RV9 :grin: with a build time of RV12. The only lacking point is the folding wings for the 4 seater MCR. I think Jarno also mentioned that they have one which can take a bigger engine for towing sailplanes!

14. Jan 26, 2014 #14

TFF

TFF

TFF

That MCR4 is $91K for the kit! No engine or avionics; that is +$25K more. An RV 10 kit is $57K at the same point. And as most kit manufacturers do when they state the climb, its one person and 1/2 fuel; full gross. Full I bet its C150 climb rate, which inspires confidence if you a back seat passenger. Not a 4 seater in the Dallas summer. As true performance I would rate it a 2 place with baggage and at that price you get the performance of a nice Grumman Cheetah for 2/3 more money.

15. Jan 26, 2014 #15

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Yep, but that kind of defeats the whole point of such a design. Would be a nice fit with a ULpower though..

Let's also not forget the South African Sling and the (Slovenian?) ONE. Both are trying to pull off the same thing.

Yet, the total cost will be a lot lower. 57K plus a lot of accesoires adds up quickly.
    I've only seen MTOW claims?
    800-900 fpm with 880 lbs of payload on board (standard atmosphere, sea level). That's 3 hours of fuel and 780 lbs of passengers/luggage.
    Full (880 lbs) an owner reported about 500 fpm over the top of the Meije. That's a density altitude of 16K or so....

Throwing money, loads of gas and a big engine isn't the only way to get performance ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  16. Jan 26, 2014 #16

TFF

TFF

TFF

Their specs do not say that about climb; their is no load attached to the climb. And with a Dallas summer density alt of 5000, its not going to climb good loaded. Even Vans with the RV10 says climb is 2000 ft a min every one knows thats one person 1/2 fuel. magazine tests would usually but those numbers. Speed and milage should show a lot closer number in use at load too.

17. Jan 26, 2014 #17

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

The numbers I mentioned are actual climb speeds in flight at max gross, not marketing numbers. As it happens, unlike what everybody might think, some manufacturers simply put out performance @ max gross, fair, honest numbers so to speak. If you do so and have excellent performance, it's hardly surprising that people assume otherwise ;)

18. Jan 28, 2014 #18

Genius_P_Bear

Genius_P_Bear

Genius_P_Bear

19. Jan 28, 2014 #19

Mapleflt

Mapleflt

Mapleflt

Does anyone have a good information link, the Youtube clip was good but more details would be nice.

Cheers, Mapleflt

20. Feb 2, 2014 #20

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

PuertoRicoFlyer

I own a KIS4 Cruiser (the airplane on my avatar) with 995hrs and counting on the engine and airframe. We just got back from a trip to the Caribbean then another trip to Mexico and Central America. It is a great airplane for long distance cruising and I love it. I had the honor of knowing Rich Trickel for several years and he was a great aircraft designer. It looks a bit like a Lancair because Rich built the first 500 Lancair kits and used the Lancair as the base for his designs. You can see real performance figures for the airplane on my web page: www.puertoricoflyer.com :cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014