New 2014 Lightweight 1.5 Liter or Smaller Automotive Engines

Discussion in 'General Auto Conversion Discussion' started by Geek1945, Jan 17, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 28, 2014 #41

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

My apologies! I didn't read your post thoroughly. You might find this answers some of your questions: Aeromomentum, LLC

2. Jan 28, 2014 #42

saini flyer

saini flyer

saini flyer

Ross, my questions to them were after I went through their website.

True, very true but I want to resist giving a single penny to Rotax if I can (it's a rip off after selling 20,000 units with an overhaul price of 60-70% of new and still asking for $20k+)....very sad

Corvairs are the heaviest of conversions at 210lbs(flycorvair.com) and a well built one with 5th bearing is not in the VW conversion budget for sure. Also if all you suggest are proven, I definitely have a different definition of "proven conversion" than you :)

rv6ejguy likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #43

raven-rotor

raven-rotor

raven-rotor

Mark

Good to see Aeromomentum launching something with the proven Suzuki G13BB engine as well as its bigger brother the 1.5L. You should include your phone number on your posts so folks can get in touch with you. Talking and emailing with you over the past couple years about your sourcing of new Suzuki engines has been valuable and I wish you success in your endeavors.

Wasn't able to find the component info pricing on your site. It would be useful as I often run into guys who are looking for just a gearbox and adapter plate only. I've been sending them to AirTrikes but it would be good to have another option.

Jeron
    Raven ReDrives Inc.
    303-440-6234

4. Jan 29, 2014 #44

saini flyer

saini flyer

saini flyer

Jeron or Mark(??)
    Looks like it is a small world for the two of you and I would appreciate it if someone can elaborate a bit more on the Aeromomentum as a company and engine respectively:ponder:

5. Jan 29, 2014 #45

raven-rotor

raven-rotor

raven-rotor

saini flyer

I really try to stay on top of the engines that are possible aircraft conversion choices in the displacement listed as the title for this thread. When we saw that we would not have a supply of the G13BB that we have had great success with converting here in the States forever, we looked at other options and Mark was already bringing these engines in from a Suzuki® factory in China for his marine applications and was well versed in their reliability, power output, etc.

For numerous reasons we were more interested in Suzuki's® latest K14B engine which is just a little more displacement than the industry leader Rotax® 912. We waited 3 years for Suzuki® America to bring that engine Stateside in their new Swift already released in the rest of the world, but that was not to be. The Honda® Jazz/Fit was our replacement engine choice.

I'm sure that Mark Kettering will be happy to update you on his aircraft related engine conversions. I don't have any other information as his post here was the first I had heard about his aircraft engine package. Will say he knows enough to pick a top notch engine, but then again maybe I'm a little biased with 19 years now with Suzuki®. I'll always remember the 'solo Suzuki' motorcycle advertising jingle from when i was a kid!

Hope this helps

Jeron Smith
    Raven ReDrives Inc.

6. Jan 30, 2014 #46

rotax618

rotax618

rotax618

G'day, how does the K14 Suzi stack up weight wise to the jazz/Fit 1.5 ?

7. Jan 31, 2014 #47

saini flyer

saini flyer

saini flyer

I emailed Mark Ketteing from Aeromomentum about more details regarding his engine and he sent me this reply. He doesn't mind me posting this so here you go:

"There are a lot of good aircraft engines including the Rotax 912. The only problem with most of them is the cost!

I have been using the Suzuki G13bb engines in jet boats since 2008 and in air boats since 2012 with over 100 delivered. I have delivered 8 for use in aircraft and 2 have flown to my knowledge. I start with brand new from the factory long blocks and only use brand new parts. Before assembly the engines are internally inspected, then assembled, inspected and test run under load and for at least two heat cycles. During the test runs the engines are computer monitored with over 100 parameters checked.

We designed and build our own gear reduction unit that is designed for up to a 210 hp 4 cylinder motor. We also use a rubber coupler for damping between the flywheel and gearbox.

After talking with customers at the show we decided to increase the lay down angle to about 75 degrees. This will allow engine to thrust line to higher relative to the engine. We also have changed the alternator mount to reduce the height. With these changes the engines now fit well in a cowl designed for a Lycoming O-235 or Continental O-200. In the KIS TR-1 cowl I have here the AM15 now fits without bumps and with the prop in the stock location. The TR-1 cowl was set up for the O-235 with 4 inch prop extension. I think the AM13 and AM15 will fit in a cowl designed for the Rotax 912 but may need a bump. Total width is still about 26", about 3" wider than the Rotax 912. The length (including airbox, etc) is a little shorter than the Rotax at about 26" and the height is about 20".

Pricing will change after Sun-n-Fun. I will still try to keep them affordable since I think this is the main problem with general aviation but I also need to cover my costs and make some profit to stay in business.

I have no problems with any question and will try to answer them all.

You can post this if you like and I will try to post as I have time.

Best regards,
    Mark[​IMG]"

8. Jan 31, 2014 #48

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Amazing pricing given the new bits, Bosch ECU, gearbox, development and testing. Power to weight is good too.

If the reliability is proven over time in aviation use, Mark could have a real winner here.

9. Jan 31, 2014 #49

aeromomentum

aeromomentum

aeromomentum

If anyone is interested I have a new in the crate Suzuki K14b at my shop and a customer has 2 or 3 more that they would sell. These engines are complete with ECU, sensors, etc and the engine harness. I may have a chassis harness but I do not know for sure. Generally the ECU plugs into the chassis harness and then this plugs into the engine harness. You will need to do a fair amount of rewiring. I have never made these engines run so do not know what is involved. I did visit the factory and their quality is very good.

The K14b is a great engine and for use in a car is maybe better than the G series. The K14b has a broader power curve with more area under the curve. But the G13bb has about the same peak power and the G15a has more peak power. The G15a is lighter than the K14b and less complex. The G series engines also have a long history of being used in aircraft.