• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Nerd alert! Airfoil Comparison: Modified NASA 65018 vs Clark Y, and NACA 23000 series

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

challenger_II

This is a question for the flight characteristics, between the 65018 (CH-701, Savannah), and other common airfoil sections.

The reason for my request is that I am putting the pencil to a (very) light plane design, low horsepower, and decent short-field, and flying, performance.
For reference, the engine I wish to use makes 30-32hp, turning a 54x26" prop. Have flown with this engine in a Mini Max (368# empty weight), a Challenger II Long-Wing (426# empty weight, with this engine), and a Fisher FP-101 (325# empty weight). I weigh, on average, 220#.
With the above listed aircraft, performance was safe, if not spectacular. The Challenger, with that huge wing, climbed the best. Go figure! :) The Mini Max had the better forward speed.

I have heard, for years, that with "ultralight" type airplanes, the airfoil isn't that critical. Some how, my Scot's blood just doesn't buy that. But, I have been wrong, before...

Now, to my original question:

Upon doing my research, I have studied what is published on the Zenair CH-701, and the rather simular Savannah. Both appear to have pretty good lifting capabilities, on relatively low horsepower, and small'ish wing areas.
I am wanting intel on the difference(s) between the 65018 (modified), and commonly used airfoils, for slow-speed lifting capabilities.

The floor is open, and thanks in advance!

Back