Neirrh XXL build

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by FritzW, Jun 19, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 27, 2014 #41

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 42:

Took the wheels and brakes off an UltraPup project that I picked up third hand. The outer wheels had been painted green but I wanted to get them back to Matco gold. I got some good advise on how to get the paint off without damaging the aluminum. I tried MEK and acetone, to my surprise the MEK didn't do anything but the acetone did a pretty good job.

I also got the second half of the landing gear Vee fitted and did all the finish welding. I still have to add two attaching plates but that'll be an easy job.

Day 42b.jpg The UltraPup was going to be done up as an L4 Grasshopper so the wheels were painted green.

Day 42c.jpg Acetone, paper towels and a little elbow grease.

Day 42d.jpg They came out pretty nice. I'll probably replace the tubes before I use them ...if I can figure out how to break the bead.

Day 42a.jpg Second half of the vee fitted

Day 42.jpg Almost ready to start on the landing gear legs

2. Oct 4, 2014 #42

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 43:

After two weeks of waiting I finally got my wing mount and engine mount plates back from the water jet guy. At least I'm rolling again:)

Mounts.jpg I still need to "file to fit" but I wanted to try them on.

Water jet.jpg ...it took two weeks to cut these parts?!?!?!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Sockmonkey, Aerowerx and Joe Fisher like this.
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #43

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Days 44, 45 and 46:

I spent a lot of time fixing a pretty minor glitch but it took some head scratching to find the problem and figure out a solution. (I was over thinking the problem)

It turns out there was a slight misalignment of two of the front cabanes, not enough to see until I tried to get the wing attach fittings lined up. Once I figured out what was wrong it was a pretty easy fix. (I know it's lots of pictures but I'm using them for an EAA program next Saturday)

Neirra Day 44f.jpg I attached a straight edge to the cabanes where the wing attach fittings go.

Neirra Day 44g.jpg Holding a square on the center longeron I found this error. (I know the center longeron is true from the jig)

Neirra Day 44e.jpg I bolted a cheater bar to the fittings and clamped them in a vice

Neirra Day 44d.jpg Neirra Day 44c.jpg Fittings bent to match missalignment in cabanes.

Neirra Day 44b.jpg Fittings mounted and aligned to the plane of the lower longerons (my referance plane)

Neirra Day 44a.jpg I know these are true from the jig.
    Neirra Day 44.jpg All's well that ends well;)

4. Oct 14, 2014 #44

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 47:

When I finished welded the front wing attach fittings things went a little out of wack again so I bolted the cheater bar back on and tweaked them again.

Neirra Day 47.jpg I'll leave the cheater bar on until after I get the fittings welded to the compression tube in case I need to make an adjustment.

Neirra Day 47a.jpg I got a good start on the the rear fittings. The tab will hold part of the shoulder harness attach cables.

Neirra Day 47b.jpg I'm going to mount these fitting this way so the welds wont be loaded in peel if I ever need the shoulder harness (backwards from how I originally drew it)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Aerowerx, Pops and Joe Fisher like this.
  5. Oct 20, 2014 #45

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I spent some time putting together a program on the Neirrh for my EAA chapter. The program was as much about how to make jigs and fixtures and CNC stuff as it was the actual airplane.

Now, back to work on the airplane...:)

1413810884.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Aerowerx, cluttonfred, Topaz and 2 others like this.
  6. Oct 24, 2014 #46

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Days 48 and 49:

I sure thought I'd be farther along by now. These fitting are a bigger chore than I thought. They're not hard to do, just tedious and not fun. ...but they're done! (except for a little finish welding).

Wing Fittings.jpg This one still needs a little finish welding but I'll let my buddy do it. There's lots of metal to soak up the heat so the welding isn't as easy as it looks, I'll leave it to a more experienced welder.

Wing Fittings2.jpg I'm glad these are done and out of the way. I'm one step closer to starting on the wood wings, that'll be a happy day.

Next, the landing gear:

I think I've come up with an ambidextrous jig that will make both the left and right gear legs. (it'll probably need a little stiffening up, but don't we all;))

Neirrh Gear Jig 1.jpg The idea is I can get all the parts out of one 2'x4' sheet of 1/2" MDF.

Neirrh Gear Jig 2.jpg Neirrh Gear Jig 2 Right.jpg Once I make the left gear leg I'll pull out the wedges, flip the base over and put it back together as a right hand jig.

Neirrh Gear Jig 3.jpg The blocks on the doubler plates are legs. I'll have to put the jig on a level surface.

Neirrh Gear Jig 4.jpg Once the legs are welded to the axle mount tube I'll take out the "top shelf" so I can weld the gussets in.

...that's the plan anyway.

7. Oct 28, 2014 #47

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 50:

Easy day, I got the landing gear jig cut out and assembled. I still have to order the tube and axles.

Gear Jig1.jpg gear jig kit

Gear Jig2.jpg Jig set up for the left gear leg, I'll swap the parts around and it'll be for the right leg. I still need few more bolts and some of the wedges off the fuselage jig.

8. Nov 11, 2014 #48

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 51:

Back to airplane building. Today was mostly making paper templates for the landing gear and getting most of the left side cut out. I didn't use templates on the fuselage but I wish I had. It only takes a few minute to draw a template and cut it out (I could have done them all during the commercials when I was watching TV) and they could have saved hours of going back and forth to the grinder.

DSC_0150.jpg I printed one of these for each tube (very simple to create in SolidWorks)

DSC_0151.jpg Using my wife's best quilting scissors that I'm never, ever supposed to use on paper I cut out the paper templates.

DSC_0156.jpg DSC_0157.jpg It all worked pretty slick.

DSC_0158.jpg Using courage, fortitude and the strength of 10 men I used tin snips to get pretty close to the line. This was .049 wall which is about as thick as I can do with snips. The .035 stuff on the fuselage was very easy to cut this way.

DSC_0160.jpg I finished it up on the grinder.

DSC_0165.jpg It fit really good for a first try, I still have a few thousandths to grind off.

Neirrh wine.jpg One of the reasons I'm falling behind schedule: I bottled up a batch of Neirrh wine:) ...there's a reason the girl on the label has pointy ears but I'll leave that for another post.

Attached Files:

Aerowerx, Wayne, flyvulcan and 4 others like this.
  9. Nov 16, 2014 #49

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 52:

I got at least a little work done this afternoon. I'm still planning to get both legs finished this month. It'll be a relief to get this thing on the gear.

DSC_0166.jpg The jig was a little more flexible than I had hoped (no supprise) so it took a little clamping and bracing to snug it up.

DSC_0167.jpg Not the most elegant solution but whatever works...

DSC_0174.jpg I'll tack in the drag link tomorrow and call my welding buddy who can handle this thick wall stuff better than I can.

10. Nov 23, 2014 #50

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 53:

Got the rest of the right gear leg tacked together. Now that I see how to do it, the left leg will go faster. Then on to the shock struts, then she's on the gear!

DSC_0197.jpg The jig got a little charred but all the pieces get flipped around for the left leg. It should hold up.

DSC_0187.jpg It fit like a glove but I'm sure after the finish welding and gussets it'll need a little tweaking.

DSC_0193.jpg I kept all the paper dolls. I'll just unroll them and roll them back up inside out so I can use them for the left gear leg.

11. Dec 11, 2014 #51

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 54:

Finally some progress. I cleaned the garage yesterday because I knew it would motivate me to get busy, it worked. I got the right gear leg cut out, fitted and tacked together. It wasn't the prettiest work I've done, but nothing Bill can't fix in the finish welding. I'm glad the steel stuff is almost done, I just need to get it done and move on to the next phase.

...now I know how my wife feels when she say's "just get it over with, Johnny Carson is on in 5 minutes" (The young guys won't get that:))

1418265445.jpg The jig is toast (literately). But that's okay, it's work is done. If I need a new gear leg I still have the cutting files to make a new jig.

1418265445 (1).jpg She's not quite "on the gear" yet, but soon!

12. Jan 3, 2015 #52

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 55:

I just realized I started this project 6 months ago and I've only spent 55 days working on it:ermm: That's gotta change...

I got my welding Yoda over today to finish weld the gear legs. I still have a few gussets to add but those will be pretty simple.

NG1.jpg It's nice to have a welder who works so cheap (I pay him in sandwiches and coffee)

It's time to start getting serious about the wings.

Aerowerx, Pilotjkl, jmt1991 and 7 others like this.
  13. Jan 20, 2015 #53

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 56:

It's not much to look at but I got a bunch of stuff done. I spent about two hours honing out the axle subs so I could get a cheater bar through them (they had to be honed out for the axles anyway). Then I tweaked the gear legs so they fit without any binding.

I jigged the gear in place with some welding rod so I can start aligning the axle centers but it's going to be a two man job. Hopefully I can scare up some help tomorrow and get the gear dialed in.

1421709720 (1).jpg ...Neirrh laying on her back with her legs in the air;)

Aerowerx, Wayne, jmt1991 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jan 26, 2015 #54

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 57:

I got the axle stub straps cut out and drilled and got my welding buddy over to weld them on. Now I just have to make sure the welding didn't tweak the axle stub center lines. It's time to order the axles!

Gear staps1 .jpg I like this picture because it looks like the flame is hitting the tanks:shock:

Gear staps2 .jpg proof that I don't always over think the jigs, sometimes I under think them. It was better than holding the gear legs while Bill did all the work.

Aerowerx, Pops, Abraham Leket and 2 others like this.
  15. Feb 18, 2015 #55

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 58:

Well, I thought today would be the big day that I got the Neirrh on her gear. But nooooo, Bill didn't like the simple finger straps I'd made to reinforce the goofy angles in the gear legs so I had to make 8 new (far less simple) finger straps. He was right, I should have done them this way to begin with. Laziness is one of the symptoms of acute "grinder madness", which I'm starting to suffer from;)

DSC_0202.jpg The maestro (Bill) and his baton... I've discovered the trick to building a steel tube airplane is just to find someone who likes welding and stay out of his way.

DSC_0207.jpg If the elbow fails now, it was meant to be.

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg ...I'm worried if she keeps hanging out in the garage she's going to pick up some bad language.

Aerowerx, Pops, Abraham Leket and 8 others like this.
  16. Mar 1, 2015 #56

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 59:

Today was definitely a double Dancing Banana day. We got the Neirrh on her gear for the first time:ban::ban:

aDSC_0209.jpg She rolled out nice and straight. I'll still do the "Kung fu, Shaolin Priest" trick and roll it over a slick floor covered with pages from Trade-a-Plane;) If the paper twists the gear might need to be tweaked.

aDSC_0213.jpg Bill and my blushing young bride. I may replace the stiff shock struts with spring or bungy struts but with those big tires there's not much to be gained.

aDSC_0206.jpg If I suck my gut in any harder I'd pass out...

17. Mar 26, 2015 #57

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 60:

Back to work. I spent a few hours getting the first two motor mount plates ready to tack. I'll still have to make some aluminum "spools" that will fit in the tubes to hold the rubber mount bushings.

Neirrh engine mount.jpg Two more to go and little more lathe work.

Neirrh engine bushing.jpg I make fun of these cheap little HF 3in1 lathe/mills but I use the heck out of it.

Aerowerx, Joe Fisher, jmt1991 and 4 others like this.
  18. Mar 29, 2015 #58

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 61:

I cut the last two bushing tubes and made one extra to play with. The bushings showed up today, the taper on the rubber bushings (Con't 22387) sure isn't 45 degrees. I was concerned about this in another post. I could squish the bushing into place but I think that's asking for trouble. I'm just going to chamfer the tubes to match the bushings.

n3.jpg Chamfer on the tube will have to be steeper:ermm:

n2.jpg ...just some glamor shots, the plates don't fit yet. I still have some trimming to do.

n1.jpg

P.S. there's an aluminum "plug" that fills the void in the tube, I still have to make those.

19. Mar 30, 2015 #59

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 62:

Most of the day was just prep work for making these little aluminum "plugs" that go inside the motor mount bushings (sizing and drilling the bar stock and grinding a tool that fits inside the little plugs). I was only able to get one finished today but I should be able to knock out the other three in the morning, then I can call my welding buddy to start welding everything together.

Nb1.jpg a proper machinist could have knocked these out in 5 minutes...

Nb2.jpg but I'm relying on vague memories of shop class in 1979;)

Aerowerx, jmt1991, Joe Fisher and 2 others like this.
  20. Apr 12, 2015 #60

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 63:

I've decided on a completely different motor mount/firewall setup.

Neirrh Firewall 1.jpg Neirrh Firewall 5.jpg Neirrh Firewall 6.jpg I going with this instead of the "Day 61" way.

Neirrh firewall 8.jpg Maybe it's my Volksplane roots but I feel much better about mounting the engine this way.

Neirrh firewall 7.jpg I got one piece of face ply glued on. I'll glue on the other side tomorrow and start on yet another set of bushings.

Aerowerx, Joe Fisher, Pops and 4 others like this.