Neirrh XXL build

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by FritzW, Jun 19, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 25, 2014 #21

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Days 17, 18 and 19:

Progress has been a little slow, about two clusters per day, but these have been the hardest ones to get to. I think once we get past the cockpit area it'll be a one or two day job to finish the rest. So far everything is staying nice and straight. Hopefully there won't be a bunch of tweaking to do when it's done. My buddy has been doing the welding and I've been working on the fittings.

Rather than start with fittings made per the plans and doing a bunch of grinding to get them to fit, I'm making "paper doll" patterns of all the fittings so they fit right to begin with. I'll transfer the patterns to the steel and cut them out. Hopefully they'll fit pretty good right from the start.

Neirrh day 19 Bill.jpg Welding continues

Neirrh paper patern.jpg Paper pattern of wing fitting

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Jul 29, 2014 #22

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Days 20, 21 and 22:

The welding is proceeding, slow but sure. Still about two clusters a day but we're still in the dreaded cockpit cage. Things will pick up soon.

My paper templates are paying off. I didn't take the bend in the longeron into account (picture below) that would have cost me a scrapped fitting. I'm half decided that since all the templates are already in the computer I'll just have the local waterjet guy cut them out. ...I can't do it on my CNC machine without flood cooling, which I don't have.

Bill plugging along.jpg It wasn't easy cramming Bill through all those tubes but it paid off.

Neirrh Day 21.jpg Note the gap where the longeron bends up to the firewall. It's better to make these screw ups with cardboard than steel.

3. Jul 31, 2014 #23

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Days 22 and 23:

Things are picking up a little now that were out of the cockpit area. There are 8 easy clusters and 1 booger cluster left to do. I'll do the easy ones but I'm leaving the booger cluster to my buddy. He did a little "black smithing" on the booger cluster to pretty things up a little. It's a 9 way cluster that was a real challenge to grind and fit, it's a thing of beauty now.

Blacksmith.jpg ...Blacksmithing (if you use a big hammer it's "construction", if you use a little hammer it's "art");)

My bad idea for this week:
    Bad idea.jpg I tried using a magnet to keep the welding rod handy. It magnetizes the rod and makes it go everywhere except where you want it to go. arghhhhh:mad:

Aerowerx, Lifted1, Topaz and 5 others like this.
  4. Aug 4, 2014 #24

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 25:

I finished all the welding except the 2 clusters on the tail post. I'm going to leave that for my more experienced welding buddy. I should have all the basic welding finished tomorrow:)

For a change of pace I started working on a new wing design today. I figure it's going to be easier to start from scratch on a new one than than try to make one my current ones fit the Neirrh. I'm thinking about routered spars instead of built up ones. It's a super fast way to make a spar but it can also be a super fast way to screw up $200 worth of wood:cry:

Neirrh Spar Dia_load.jpg Figuring out the span wise load distribution on a Hershey Bar wing

Neirrh Spar Dia_moment.jpg 800 lb at 6G, wing root fittings still don't have much vertical load

Neirrh Spar Dia_shear.jpg this will determine how much routering I can do on my routered spars

I did these in MD Solids, I'll do it again with a spread sheet to be sure I didn't mess this part up.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. Aug 8, 2014 #25

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Got the last of the basic welding finished on Monday. I owe a huge thanks to my EAA buddy Bill. Even though he's a decade or two older than me (and I'm no spring chicken) he was able climb through the tubes and do all the contortionist, yoga welding. I felt bad just doing the few clusters that were easy to get to. ...but I'll get over it;)

I'm making good progress on the wing drawings but I need to put that aside and finish the fittings, tail feathers and landing gear.

6. Aug 9, 2014 #26

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 26:

I noticed a big split right through the "anti-split" hole in the tail rotisserie (no doubt caused by sub-standard design and engineering). So as long as it was off for repairs I got started on the tail wheel mount. So far I'm very happy with how this thing is turning out. ..."If the engine falls off, it's taking the tail post with it":gig:

Rote Split.jpg Split right through the stress relief hole. Nothing a Popsicle stick and a little TightBond III can't fix.

Neirrh Day 26a.jpg

Neirrh Day 26.jpg a 6x2 tailwheel looks awful big but anything smaller would sink in the dirt too much and work more like a "dirt rudder".

7. Aug 12, 2014 #27

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 27:

This is the third day my centurylink ISP has been offline. I got tired of surfing the internet on my cell so I had to sneak over to McDonalds to use their wifi. ...I haven't had to this since the old days when I used to park next to the fancy hotels and steal their wifi;)

I just about have the tailwheel mounts in. The front mount turned out to be a bit of a hassle because there was no way to get it on the grinder, lots of lathe and Dremel tooling work.

Neirrh TW mount.jpg the basic idea

Front Tailwheel mount.jpg Unibits, gotta love um.

Front Tailwheel mount trim.jpg everything about the front mount was a finger muching SOB

Neirrh Day 27a.jpg the rear mount was much easier, just a hacksaw and a big hammer

Neirrh Day 27b.jpg front mount is done. Rear mount tacked in, I'll finish it tomorrow.

8. Aug 18, 2014 #28

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Days 28-30:

The tail wheel mounts are done. I finally got the drawings finished for the 8 wing strut/gear mounts. Just drawing them turned out to be a gymongus pain in the butt. Too many "front/rear, left/right, horizontal/vertical, offset/no offset" details to keep track of. No two of them are the same.

Neirrh Front Fittings.jpg Each fitting is different and custom fit to it's location. ...what could possibly go wrong? :whistle:

Neirrh Strut Fittings CS.jpg I'll clean this up and make a "cookie sheet" that I can make cutting files for a waterjet from. I can hopefully get these cut and welded on this week.

Aerowerx, Lifted1, Joe Fisher and 5 others like this.
  9. Aug 25, 2014 #29

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 31:

Finally, some progress. I can't believe these things took almost 8 days to draw and have made. I let them turn into a bigger deal than they really were. I spent 5 days measuring and drawing to save me one day of work. Oh well, I'll be smarter next time.

Neirrh Day 31.jpg I wasted a lot of steel by not making a better cookie sheet patern but I was in a hurry. The waterjet guy said if I got them to him right right away he could cut them that afternoon, it ended up taking him 4 days to get around to it:mad2:

Neirrh Day 31a.jpg Another thing I forgot to do in my haste was to allow about .002" inch clearance on the inside of these. (the old "a 1/2 inch bolt won't fit in a 1/2 hole" problem) but I was going to have to do a little "file to fit" anyway.I hope to get these things welded on this week.

The parts are wet and have some light surface rust immediately coming out of the machine. It's good to have a little WD-40 and a Scotch Brite pad standing by.

10. Aug 27, 2014 #30

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 32:

I was hoping to be a little farther along by now, but oh well. As long as I keep keep moving forward everyday this thing will get done.

Neirrh day 32.jpg Using Allthread to keep the front and rear fittings aligned. ...a little trick I've seen on a few news groups.

Neirrh day 32a.jpg The parts haven't been filed to fit yet, just checking out the "allthread' concept. It might need a little help to keep things from twisting. ...I'll have to sleep on that.

Neirrh day 32b.jpg The basic idea looks good, should keep things square and make fitting the landing gear and struts a whole lot easier.

Aerowerx, Lifted1, Joe Fisher and 3 others like this.
  11. Aug 28, 2014 #31

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 33:

I figured out a way to keep the fittings from twisting. Now I know the holes will be lined up and true to the airplane center line.

I was just about to tack the first set in and I got to wondering why I'm not using "V" struts instead of parallel struts. Maybe I have commitment issues:) Before I light the torch I'm going to have to ask this venerable forum for input on strut configurations.

Neirrh day 33.jpg Two pieces of MDF with accurate holes. All my good screw clamps are tied up on the rotisserie, I'd better head to Harbor Freight in the morning

Neirrh day 33a.jpg So far so good ...unless I change to V struts

Neirrh day 33b.jpg I clamped two spacers between the fittings to keep them parallel and make sure the spacing is correct.

Neirrh fitting twist stop.jpg this is what it would look like without all the garage clutter

12. Aug 29, 2014 #32

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 34:

I played with the V strut idea for a few hours today. I figure it would probably add a month to the build so I decided to stick with the current, parallel, struts.

These fitting have a bent tab on one end to handle the different tube sizes (7/8" on the carry through and 3/4" on the vertical). I made a few practice bends trying it hot and cold. Cold seemed to be the easiest way to get the bend where I wanted.

Neirrh day34.jpg First set tacked in, I'll tack in the other three and call my welding buddy.

13. Sep 2, 2014 #33

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 35:

I got some good guidance from this group on seat belt attach point design. I went from .090 down to .0625 on the attach point. It was a lot of work to save such a small amount of weight, probably not worth the effort, but they're done.

Neirrh day 35.jpg FWIW: The gunk in Harbor Freight welding magnets has a flash point just slightly above room temperature. I've smelled like burning magnets for the last month:)

Neirrh day 35a.jpg Strut/landing gear fittings and seat belt lug all tie together.

Neirrh day 35b.jpg Left side's tacked in, I'll get the right side in tomorrow and call for the welding guru.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  14. Sep 3, 2014 #34

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 36:

Spent most of the day grinding and filing the the strut/gear fittings, but I did start work on putting some numbers on Hot Wings idea for a good way to to attach my shoulder harness. So far it looks like 5/32" 1x19 cable for the horizontal load and 1/8" 7x19 for the vertical load.

More good info on seat belt attach fittings at: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...technology/19627-seat-belt-attach-points.html

Neirrh Shoulder Harness.jpg

Aerowerx and Joe Fisher like this.
  15. Sep 4, 2014 #35

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 37:

The 8 strut/gear fittings are finally tacked in. The wing attach and motor mount fittings should be a lot simpler. I'd really like to get this thing on it's gear by the end of the month.

Neirrh day 37.jpg I'm glad these are done, at least the hard part is done.

Neirrh day 37a.jpg

Harness Lug von Mises.jpg Attaching the shoulder harness to the center longeron would be clean and simple but it probably wouldn't hold up very in crash. (deformation is exaggerated to make it visable)

Lifted1 and Joe Fisher like this.
  16. Sep 6, 2014 #36

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 38:

My welding buddy Bill (who learned from Ed Marquart at Flabob) got the toughest two sets of strut/gear fittings finished welded. I'm sure glad I have a welder like him doing all the "life and death" stuff.

I had a redesign of my shoulder harness attach points (thanks Hot Wings) so I updated my "paper doll" templates. I'll get the file off to the waterjet guy on Monday.

14099565051.jpg Bill channeling the spirit of Ed Marquart. I've heard of "child labor laws" but not "senior citizen labor laws" so I guess it's legal for me to have Bill crammed in those hot tubes like that.

14099565052.jpg I'll connect the front (vertical) cable of the harness attach to this tab.

14099565053.jpg A test sample of my first batch of Experimental Amateur Built wine (checking to see if had cleared yet, it hasn't) This airplane would go together a lot faster if me and my airport buddies didn't have to test this stuff everyday:)

17. Sep 6, 2014 #37

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Supplemental

Fuel tank.jpg Experimental fuel vapor lock prevention device.

I don't know what the wooden airplane guys in Tennessee do. But for the steel airplane guys in New Mexico, Experimental Amateur Built wine isn't the only homemade beverage we make;)

18. Sep 10, 2014 #38

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 39:

The strut/gear fittings are almost done, just a few more spots to finish up. Making sure all the landing gear bolt holes stay straight and true is taking a lot of time but it'll pay off when it's time to install the gear.

Today was one of those milestone days. I got to sit in it (sort of) for the first time. No one was around to take a picture so I took a "selfie".

Day 39.jpg Good thing the spar fittings are on the lower longerons. I was worried about banging my head on the rear cabanes, it's close. I'll be using a pretty thick cushion on the seat back and a pretty thin one on the seat bottom.

Day 39a.jpg Sitting on boxes that don't move while your in a fuselage that does move is like getting stuck in a Salvador Dali painting:gig:

Aerowerx, Taiser, Pops and 4 others like this.
  19. Sep 21, 2014 #39

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 40:

I have the attention span of a fruit fly and things move pretty slow when your messing with little fittings, so I took a week off to "re-motivate" myself.

During my sabbatical the remnants of hurricane Odile gave us a few days of rain and drove the humidity up in my garage enough to cause a some light flash rust on the fuselage. I sent out a plea on the HBA for advice on how to deal with it, BBerson and Brian Clayton suggested using some stuff called Ospho. The stuff worked like a charm.

Rust 1.jpg I went out to the garage yesterday and saw this, it was like a horror movie. ...rust is typically a very slow process in this climate.

Rust 2.jpg Most of it came off with a paper towel, a few spots needed a little Scotch Brite pad work.

Rust 3.jpg I wiped off the "rust dust" with a little ethanol (you can see in post #37 I have a ready supply of good clean ethanol:gig:)

Rust 4.jpg Any rust that remained was converted to iron phosphate. The stuff looks brand new. A big thanks to BBerson and Brian Clayton.
    Blurb from the Ospho website: " OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black."

Ospho.jpg Ospho, handy stuff to have around.

Aerowerx, Pops, Joe Fisher and 2 others like this.
  20. Sep 24, 2014 #40

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Day 41:

I finished cleaning up the rust with the rust converter and got a start on the landing gear "Vee". The gear sticks forward of the gear mounts so everything is at an angle. I cut a little piece of MDF that holds everything in the right place while I get the pieces trimmed, fitted and tacked. It worked pretty good. I'm still figuring how I'm going to get the main gear jigged up...

Neirrh day 41.jpg The "vee" has to be in a straight line with the shock strut and the end of the axle so it has to be just right.

Neirrh day 41a.jpg Glued the new block to one of the old fitting "aligners"

Neirrh day 41b.jpg Drilling the tube to fit the bushing angle was fun

Neirrh day 41c.jpg It worked real good. Hopefully I'll finish the "vee" up tomorrow and start on the gear legs.

Aerowerx, milanesa711, Pops and 3 others like this.