Quantcast

Needing; Legal Eagle wing rib plans

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Shred Pile

Good morning all,
I'm curious if anyone knows of a source for a full size plan of the regular legal eagle wing ribs?
Or at least an email-able file that would print out more accurately than a what seems to be a thrice faxed, double scanned, resized, mimeographed set of single pages that comprise my current set :)

I was able to make each individual page match the correct scale but I wanted to have a spare set on hand for my jig and was concerned about repeatability.

Thanks,
Jake

TFF

What I will say is build to one set of plans. Either build to Milholland or CAD. There is conflict resolution if you pick and choose which drawing you like to use. All or nothing. Anyway Millholland wants a little you in every one, it’s not a hold your hand build. It’s a fabric wing going 60, precise aerodynamics was left on the table once it was chosen to be a UL.

Shred Pile

What I will say is build to one set of plans. Either build to Milholland or CAD. There is conflict resolution if you pick and choose which drawing you like to use. All or nothing. Anyway Millholland wants a little you in every one, it’s not a hold your hand build. It’s a fabric wing going 60, precise aerodynamics was left on the table once it was chosen to be a UL.
Totally agree with this and it will be how it goes. My interest in a cad set was born more from the results of printing out and assembling a template from the plans. Once i realized the scale on the nose rib page was off the process began to size each page to scale. The outcome was a wing template that was 5 full inches longer and nearly 1" taller than the first try and the concern was that because each of the 7 sheets required a different ratio ranging from 107% to 112% +/- to make them fit together that even what i felt was right could easily still be wrong.

I would be just fine with a simple verification of the numbers because i'm happy with how the template turned out and i could have copies made at my local blue print store.

As it sits, from the tip of the nose rib to the rear of the trailing edge I have 52-1/4" and it is 7-5/8" tall at the first vertical web/gusset point behind the front spar.

Thanks to all that responded to my questions, this place is a great resource and i enjoy reading my way around it.

jake

Country Flyer

Do the iron designs. They’re not expensive and make things much easier. The drawings in the plans are junk and leave too much information unsaid. I didn’t even get a number with my plans.

TFF

In the end, all you need is the spar spacing to match the fuselage mounts. It’s why if you built the fuselage first, I would wait on welding the mounts until the wing was built. It’s not hard, but it’s not hold your hands. Very 60-70s. Those planes flew. The tail is the part that gives the most problems. No twist is hard.

Shred Pile

In the end, all you need is the spar spacing to match the fuselage mounts. It’s why if you built the fuselage first, I would wait on welding the mounts until the wing was built. It’s not hard, but it’s not hold your hands. Very 60-70s. Those planes flew. The tail is the part that gives the most problems. No twist is hard.
Gotcha, The reason I chose this plane is literally because of the ambiguity in the plans and the style of construction. My initial search for clarity on the wing size was only because I felt a wing 10% smaller than it should be might affect the way it flies......:)

azevedoflyer

Shred,
On the same boat as you are!
How/what did you do to order the so-called “Iron Plans”?
Cheers,
azevedoflyer
😎

Shred Pile

While the Iron Design plans clearly state they are for the Legal Eagle XL only, would they be a useful general reference for building another Milholland design? I have Cabin Eagle plans and the are a little...ummm...vague in places.
So unless I miss my guess, the rib plan between the two is the same with the wing span increase of 34" for the XL vs the original.
They both state a chord length of 55" with the XL having a span of 315" to yield the stated 120.3 sq ft and the regular having a span of 281" for 107 sq ft.

Shred Pile

Shred,
On the same boat as you are!
How/what did you do to order the so-called “Iron Plans”?
Cheers,
azevedoflyer
😎
I tried to post the link for you but it's under moderation i guess. If you scroll back in the thread you will find it where i did.
jake

Rockiedog2

Buy the plans and build one part to fit the other. It will be just fine. Everything you need to build an Eagle is right there in the plans.
Way too much hand wringing.

Rockiedog2

Do the iron designs. They’re not expensive and make things much easier. The drawings in the plans are junk and leave too much information unsaid. I didn’t even get a number with my plans.
The plans aren’t junk. Leonard has always said “you have to think to build an Eagle”. You got all that’s need right there in the plans.
If you gotta have CAD or like that suggest you look at other designs.

Shred Pile

Buy the plans and build one part to fit the other. It will be just fine. Everything you need to build an Eagle is right there in the plans.
Way too much hand wringing.
I did and that's my plan. on my first try i came up with <95 sq ft of wing. I thought it merited confirmation.

azevedoflyer

Thanks!
Kind of isolated here in GA NW. Nobody around doing the same.
Wish I had a fellow homebuilder close by...
Cheers,
azevedoflyer
:cool: