• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need your opinion/honest advice, old motorglider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SundayFlyboy97

Hi all,
A bit weird topic, some may say, but I have ended up in an unexpected situation. And it's gonna be a long post.

A little background: friend and I had previously bought a motorglider, 1959 SZD 12A Mucha converted conventional glider with Trabant engine,with which we had a lot of trouble. Firstly, the engine was underpowered for that aircraft. Secondly, we had issues with the nose wheel, breaking twice on a grass strip.
Overall we had some fun restoring what was necessary and a little bit of flying was done.

Fast forward, he has a nervous breakdown after the propeller started to delaminate (poor build) and decided to transfer his half to me, making me the only owner. I agreed, because at the time I still was "young and dumb" (about 2 months ago lol). He thought the glider was impossible to sell and therefore decided to just transfer his half for free (the new engine, rotax 503 was mine, hence he agreed I dont have to pay anything).

It is also possible to restore it to original pure glider condition, and perhaps put a smaller, much lighter paramotor engine on a pylon, to improve the overall lift/drag (right now I calculate l/d is around 13.5 because of the undercarriage and the engine..original Mucha glider is 24).

So now I am facing a huge decision whether to sell the aircraft or to keep it.

***The main dilemma I am facing is structural integrity. It's a 1959 wooden glider, probably using casein glue which is prone to biodeterioration, this makes me anxious about it falling apart in flight.
Also, wood. 63 years is a long time.***

^^^This is the main reason why I am seeking advice. I hope there are others who have had contact with older wooden gliders who can share some advice.

It's currently in a hangar, but the airport is unusable half of the year (flooding) and the hangaring is too expensive, not to mention from time to time I must do some maintenance, and that is impossible over there, since they don't want to give me the key from the hangar, and also there is no electricity there.
In other words, I must have a trailer.

I will attach some images of the interior. The problem is I learned to fly on gliders, and I love to soar. I don't think an ultralight would give me the same amount of joy as a glider.
But then again, with all the hassle regarding the transport of a 600lb beast, my rational mind is telling me to sell it, and perhaps look for a more compact and lighter aircraft.
My heart, however, tells me not to.

I have been advised to stress-test wooden parts to know exactly in what kind of shape they are.

Below are some photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-20-17-03-31-905.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-20-17-03-31-905.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2023-01-20-17-03-20-206.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-20-17-03-20-206.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2023-01-20-17-04-06-293.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-20-17-04-06-293.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2023-01-20-17-02-52-578.jpg