Quantcast

Need to bump out fabric, any ideas?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

buzzypeterson

There's a place on my plane where there is a bell crank rubbing on the fabric after I shrunk it. I thought I had it clear but the fabric troughs just a tiny bit and so it's rubbing. It's on the inside of the plane (not where a cable exits. Is there something made maybe similar to an inspection plate with a little bump out to give me some clearance or do I have to build something like that myself?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Some inspection covers are domed maybe 3/8".

Dan

Rockiedog2

If Pops inspection plate suggestion doesn't suit then
look around your shop (assuming yours has as much junk lying around as mine) you can likely find some "found object" that will make a nice bump over the knot. The kitchen has a lotta small rounded spoons and stuff that might could be made to work. Then look at cutting a hole in the fabric, place the found object over the hole and polytac it in place then cut a fabric reinforcing patch to go over/around or whatever works to further hold it in place and finish it off. Or maybe dimple a piece of soft flat aluminum then glue/fabric in place. I guess IOW "make it".
You probably got lotsa creative options lying around.

Dan Thomas

Just make sure that whatever you use to get the clearance doesn't foul that bellcrank.

narfi

Log Member
How hard is it rubbing and how large a distance? You may be able to glue a strip of thin sheet of Teflon or something to the inside of the fabric and just let it rub? (Hard to know without specifics)