• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need some help deciding on a budget build...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKoit

Hello everyone,

it's been a while since I've been on here due to job craziness and a new baby (#3!) but now I've had some time to sit down and reevaluate my build. Well, due to tighter finances I've had to reconsider my original plan of going with a metal kit like Zenith or Savannah, and after scouring the web and barnstormers I've found a few alternative options. My mission is still the same though, as a student pilot looking to get my sport pilot certificate, my plane has to be LSA compliant. My plan has always been to get my sport pilot certificate, build an LSA approved plane, and build time over a few years until I can get a family hauler like a 206 or Cherokee six, as well as my private ticket. That all being said, I'm trying to look for a project that I can:

- finish for under 15k,
- that's tricycle gear,
- LSA-worthy,
- and has good stable flight characteristics.
- trailerable is a plus, I'm down the road from my local airport so I was thinking I could trailer to and from to save tie down / hangar costs (SoCal is crazy expensive)
- low build time, either kit or some pre-fabrication
- can be any material, but if I can't trailer I'd love some feedback on storing wood, tube and fabric, etc. outdoors if I cover it thoroughly...
- I'm open to buying partially competed kits as well, so I'd love to hear suggestions there also.

Heres what I've considered this far. Keep in mind I'm a low time pilot, and my airport does get a little gusty as well:

- KR2 (is this LSA?)
- sonerai 2lt or 2 lts (LSA possible?)
- Hi Max 1700 or other mini max model
- hummel h5 or hummel bird
- bk fliers BK1
- super sky raider
- ridge runner 3
- kitfox/avid w tri gear
- thatcher cx4

amything I'm missing? Would love some firsthand feedback on these designs as well. Thanks!

Back