Need some help deciding on a budget build...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

JayKoit

Hello everyone,

it's been a while since I've been on here due to job craziness and a new baby (#3!) but now I've had some time to sit down and reevaluate my build. Well, due to tighter finances I've had to reconsider my original plan of going with a metal kit like Zenith or Savannah, and after scouring the web and barnstormers I've found a few alternative options. My mission is still the same though, as a student pilot looking to get my sport pilot certificate, my plane has to be LSA compliant. My plan has always been to get my sport pilot certificate, build an LSA approved plane, and build time over a few years until I can get a family hauler like a 206 or Cherokee six, as well as my private ticket. That all being said, I'm trying to look for a project that I can:

- finish for under 15k,
- that's tricycle gear,
- LSA-worthy,
- and has good stable flight characteristics.
- trailerable is a plus, I'm down the road from my local airport so I was thinking I could trailer to and from to save tie down / hangar costs (SoCal is crazy expensive)
- low build time, either kit or some pre-fabrication
- can be any material, but if I can't trailer I'd love some feedback on storing wood, tube and fabric, etc. outdoors if I cover it thoroughly...
- I'm open to buying partially competed kits as well, so I'd love to hear suggestions there also.

Heres what I've considered this far. Keep in mind I'm a low time pilot, and my airport does get a little gusty as well:

- KR2 (is this LSA?)
- sonerai 2lt or 2 lts (LSA possible?)
- Hi Max 1700 or other mini max model
- hummel h5 or hummel bird
- bk fliers BK1
- super sky raider
- ridge runner 3
- kitfox/avid w tri gear
- thatcher cx4

amything I'm missing? Would love some firsthand feedback on these designs as well. Thanks!

Holtzy3

Sd-1 minisport, skycraftairplanes.com they dont have kits avalible on the website anymore but email them, they still sell the kits. Good little planes becoming popular in the EU. Meets LSA ALL day long and is a sporty little thing, uses a REALLY cheap hirth 28hp engine that can be bought brand new for 2500, it still cruises at around 100mph though. Great design

Holtzy3

Just looked up the Sd-1 again. Tri gear available...removable wings with 1 person... 575 mi range... Wood construction...parachute available, 118mph cruise, I believe top speed for las is 135 kts so like 145-150 mph, the hirth engine burns 2.3 gph so its EXTREMELY economical to fly. Hope this helps and I hope you build it, I've been following that company since it came to the US from the Czech republic

Holtzy3

Wow, that is a cool plane. Meets all my criteria too. I emailed them asking about available kits. Thanks!
No problem! Ive always liked them myself but I need something a bit bigger...maybe one day I'll build one

autoreply

Sd-1 minisport, skycraftairplanes.com they dont have kits avalible on the website anymore but email them, they still sell the kits. Good little planes becoming popular in the EU. Meets LSA ALL day long and is a sporty little thing, uses a REALLY cheap hirth 28hp engine that can be bought brand new for 2500, it still cruises at around 100mph though. Great design
The Columban MC15 Luciole is pretty similar, though it uses a converted Briggs & Stratton.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
- trailerable is a plus, I'm down the road from my local airport so I was thinking I could trailer to and from to save tie down / hangar costs (SoCal is crazy expensive)
In Los Angeles proper, or one of the outlying areas? In other words, where specifically do you live?

autoreply

:eek::eek::eek: The last B&S I had ran about 2 hours, dumped oil on my lawn, and locked up.
You're not supposed to taxi for 2 hours. Airplanes are meant to fly, not taxi :gig:

Joking aside, the BS are one of the most affordable 4-strokes for small aircraft and - if done properly - seem to do pretty good on small aircraft. A big part of the affordability is easy access to cheap parts.

My exposure to aviation 2-strokes is limited, but their reliability at least has a reputation of being less than stellar and that includes the Hirth (not founded on any solid exposure, all 2nd hand information)

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Don't rule out a Sonex. They can be built from plans, and you'd end up with a 2-place aircraft that would have a big benefit for you: You could receive instruction in it and significantly reduce the cost of getting your ticket (Sport pilot or PPL). Built from plans there's no reason you'd wind up paying much more than for some of the other metal planes on your list. And, if you come into some money, the matched-hole kit parts and machined angle parts are available from the factory to save you building time (an option not available with most other planes on your list). The downside is that the wing isn't easily removable. The upside is that it is all metal and you could paint it and keep it outside (with a good canopy cover). Another upside is that they are popular: That makes if far easier to find a project you could take over (always a money saver) and much easier to sell the plane when you are ready to move on and buy that bigger plane. Look in Barnstormers to see what the market is like for the plane you plan to build.

Or, wait a few months for the ThatcherCX5. You'd get most of the advantages of the Sonex (instruction wouldn't be as easy in a tandem as in a Sonex's side-by-side layout), plus a foldable wing. Resale value is unknown, but I'd guess the plane will be a popular one.

But, unless you truly want to build a plane for its own sake, or have a specific desire for the type of flying these planes offer, then I'd strongly suggest you just buy a used C-150, C-152, a Tomahawk, or some other humble plane for $15K. It will hold up better to being kept outside, you'll have an easier time selling it later, you'll have an easier time finding a partner to help defray the costs, and you'll have no problem finding an instructor willing to teach you in it (maybe "free", in exchange for being able to use the plane). You can have your PPL in a couple of months. Costs will be a little higher than with a homebuilt (you'll need to pay someone to do maintenance, and use certified parts), but you might still come out ahead when you consider your faster progress toward your ultimate goal.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Wow, that [SD-1]is a cool plane. Meets all my criteria too. I emailed them asking about available kits. Thanks!
That all being said, I'm trying to look for a project that I can:

- finish for under 15k,
-
The SD-1 is about $55,000, fully built. If they sell kits it will be somewhat less, but still a lot. When you said "under 15K" did you mean "dollars" or some other currency?

Holtzy3

The SD-1 is about $55,000, fully built. If they sell kits it will be somewhat less, but still a lot. When you said "under 15K" did you mean "dollars" or some other currency?
haha i know, i know the owner of the company and he still sells the plans out of the czech, the reasson the fully built aircraft is 55k is because they have ballistic parachutes and full glass cockpits. when they sold the kits it was around 15k with the engine and around 10 if you build from plans even with a new engine. the 55k is a fully loaded aircraft with almost 20k profit per aircraft for R&D for their 2 seater thats in the works. (yes the 2 seater is in development and should be released next summer) you can easily build the aircraft for 15k from kits or plans. the full aircraft is something brand new and their probably testing price points as well.

JayKoit

teenie two. Cheap, Quick and easy to build, good builder support online. Stock Vw power. Lots of them built and flying. "pop" rivet build.
Thanks for the suggestion. I like the Teenie Two, but I need to investigate it further. Will my 6'2" frame fit in there? I also wish there was a bit more pre-fabbed parts, like engine mounts, cowls, controls, and landing gear...

JayKoit

In Los Angeles proper, or one of the outlying areas? In other words, where specifically do you live?
I'm northeast of LA about 40 miles, in a small town called Agua Dulce. It's not far from Santa Clarita. The airport here doesn't even have tiedowns, only hangars, but I spoke with the airport manager and he said he's considering adding a few, but they'd be $100 a month.

Holtzy3

I'm northeast of LA about 40 miles, in a small town called Agua Dulce. It's not far from Santa Clarita. The airport here doesn't even have tiedowns, only hangars, but I spoke with the airport manager and he said he's considering adding a few, but they'd be $100 a month.
100 a month!!! thats crazy, im paying 50 a month between hangers and 40 a month on the ramp, in your case i would make folding or removable wings a must. also here is the link to a youtube channel who owns an sd-1 minisport in france. his videos from the cockpit are great and there some pretty cool views in some of his videos of the french alps. he also has videos of removing the wings and putting them on. looks to be a VERY easy task requiring only one person Chaîne de LuftNSU - YouTube

Latest posts

Group Builder