• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need recommendations for UL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelC

Originally I had planned on getting my sport pilot's license and building an LSA. Now I'm thinking of building a part 103 UL, and getting my SPL later and then building an LSA. I really don't want to take years longer (both because of the build time and getting together the money for a larger, more elaborate aircraft and the cost of training) to be flying. Plus I really have a thing for ultralights having spent so much time at Airventure these last few years. Don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to think I can fly the UL without sufficient training UL.

Question is, if I go this route, which one? I have a set of Affordaplane plans which I bought last year but I'm reluctant to build one since I haven't been able to find out much about it. I've done a lot of Googling Affordaplane but can't find any useful info. Like how many, if any, have been built and flown and how many hours logged. Is it a safe design and can it be built legal (sounds like maybe if you leave off the cowling and substitute lighter wheels. If I go with a different plans built UL, the more I look the more confused I get.

My basic criteria are:

1.) Low cost
2.) Can be built in 350 hours or less
3.) Prefer something with removable wings that can be
trailered to save hangar space. If I have to I'll figure on a hangar if
all other criteria are met.
4.) Something not requiring a lot of welding since I neither have
the equipment nor the expertise to do gas or TIG welding. I have an
old Lincoln AC stick welder but I have a feeling it won't be of much use
building an airplane!

I really don't have any preferences as far as construction method (other than the above mentioned welding issue). Metal, wood, composite or combination thereof.

One model that caught my eye was the Mitchell B-10 wing. I especially liked the fact that it has a 16:1 glide ratio and of course it has easily removable wings. Again, don't know much about it, how many have been built, problems, etc. Legal Eagle, Minimax, various Ragwing designs, Hummel Ultracruiser etc, all possibilities.

Any information from those of you who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Back