Need Microlight Trike Flexwing DIY Plans

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, May 14, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019 #1

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Hello there,

This is my third post to the forum in 6 years and I want to say hi again.

I want to build an microlight trike and flexwing , I need your help to buy or download link to build the flexwing. Where can I find plans ? This is in my mind for 20 years but I just started to discuss now.

I want to fly great distances and think that from istanbul to austria to belgium to england to shetland.

I have only paraglider experience.

Local or commercial trikes are out of question.

Thank you and Best wishes,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
    Istanbul
    mustafaumutsarac@gmail.com

2. May 15, 2019 #2

Dana

Dana

Dana

I don't know of anybody providing drawings for flex wings. Like paragliders, the required sewing of a modern flexwing is so critical and complex it would be beyond the capability of most amateurs. I have seen websites devoted to homebuilt trikes to mate with a commercially made tandem hang glider wing, though I don't have a link handy.

3. May 15, 2019 #3

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

The trike chassis is not hard to make. Here is a Canadian company of Russian expats that offer plans.

https://www.airtrikes.net/introduction.shtml

However, the wings, although the aluminum and stainless steel parts are within the capability of some metal working skills, ( I've built a few ) the sail requires fairly high skill in sail making techniques, and exceptional precision. A sewn line 6 mm off can ruin the whole wing.

There's over 40 years of evolution in wing design, and factory wings are open wind tunnel tested in the U.S. & Germany. Test stands mounted on trucks, heavily instrumented with force gauges & computer data systems.

http://www.northwing.com/glider-load-testing.htm

I've flown hang gliders since the days of wood and polyethylene plastic sails. Modern trike wings are three dimensional SEWN shapes mounted on aircraft grade material frames and too complex and critical for me. I admit to not being good with a sewing machine. But this is not sewing a pair of blue jeans skill. It's World Cup racing sailboat sail skill at the highest level. Maybe 6 shops in the U.S., 2-3 each in Australia, England, Russia, can do this work.

You might see if you can visit the Aeros factory and see for yourself. An intern or job position ( depending on international relations ) could perhaps turn you into one of the hand full of people on the planet with the skills to build a wing I'd trust.

ultralajt likes this.
  4. May 16, 2019 #4

dew777

dew777

dew777

In-spite of all the people saying DON'T or CAN'T there are actually some people who do build home-made hang gliders. And plans are available. Please note that I am NOT suggesting that it is safe or sane . . . .

Here is a link to an old-fashion "Rogallo" wing. These are VERY low-performance and "unsafe" by today's standards:
    http://laboratoridenvol.com/projects/sps2008/index.en.html

Now, for a much newer/modern design the French La Mouette "Atlas" has been copied/hand-built quite a few times~ although mostly in Russia. Here are some links to that info:
    http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1450413544/all

And here is a link to a Russian document that has the "build" in it:
    http://www.deltaplanerizm.ru/read/atlas.doc

5. May 16, 2019 #5

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

It doesn't matter what your doing on a homebuilt, drilling holes, cutting tube, bending a flange on a fitting, etc. If you miss your mark by 6mm it's huge and will ruin the part. Why would sail cloth any different?

Sewing a seam on a trike is no more magical, complex or difficult than running a weld bead or gluing in spar caps. Just like every other building process on a homebuilt you need the right tools and learn the right skills.

6. May 16, 2019 #6

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

And practice. With the cost of sailcloth, having one made could easily work out cheaper.
    What is unsuitable about commercial foils?

7. May 16, 2019 #7

dew777

dew777

dew777

8. May 17, 2019 #8

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

I admit to bias. I am not talented in sewing, therefore I fear it.

For others, welding, or the billion hole rivet construction is the bugaboo.

It's not like it can't be done, I know some of these folk that can do it production line.