Need input RE: flight instructor

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

Right. Even if you only do the tailwheel training, you'll then be able to manage coordinated flight and even landings in trikes 'in your sleep'. [please note the quotes...]

Dan Thomas

Right. Even if you only do the tailwheel training, you'll then be able to manage coordinated flight and even landings in trikes 'in your sleep'. [please note the quotes...]
When I was doing tailwheel checkouts for our post-PPL students, we noticed that they had a hard time getting their feet going. That was because of Primacy: stuff first learned is the stuff most firmly embedded, and in most trikes you learn real quick that your feet aren't very important at all. Then you encounter the taildragger and you have to break a bunch of bad habits and start over again. Got to wake up your feet. I came up with a medical term for those trike-pilot feet: Somnopedosis. Means "sleepy feet."

TFF

That’s what the OP is up against. Yes taildragger or glider will make him a better pilot. No question.

Instruction and training has been an issue to get where he is at now. Even though it will be a big step forward in accomplishment to learn either tail or glider, I’m worried he might feel beat up again with training. It will feel like starting over. Now is a good time as long as he can take it with a grain of salt that he really is at day one again. I think getting the PPL first might be better for him.

Getting the accomplishment high of the license is in his best interest. Should he try the Citabria once? Sure, but with the understanding that he might should not take the full detour until later. Managing the confidence level is just as important as the flying. No need to throw a wrench in something working right now.

dwalker

That’s what the OP is up against. Yes taildragger or glider will make him a better pilot. No question.

Instruction and training has been an issue to get where he is at now. Even though it will be a big step forward in accomplishment to learn either tail or glider, I’m worried he might feel beat up again with training. It will feel like starting over. Now is a good time as long as he can take it with a grain of salt that he really is at day one again. I think getting the PPL first might be better for him.

Getting the accomplishment high of the license is in his best interest. Should he try the Citabria once? Sure, but with the understanding that he might should not take the full detour until later. Managing the confidence level is just as important as the flying. No need to throw a wrench in something working right now.
Pretty much agree here. I should make a couple of notes though-
My plan is to take a familiarization flight, and maybe a lesson or maybe a few in a glider to work on rudder control and build in some good habits. I know it is different but I relate it to the way we will put a driver that has never driven anything but high horsepower cars and never learned speed maintenance into a low power momentum car.

I am planning on taking the Tailwheel and Unusual Attitude/Spin Recovery instruction probably after getting my PPL and not before.

I should also update where I am with my instructor now. I think that the stage check IP had a talk with my instructor and as I have posted earlier, and it worked. I also think that he got past the hurdle with his job offer. On the way back from my solo yesterday I asked him if he was stressing the job preparations and he said that he would easily have the hours required, and that right now he was focusing on getting his current students through the checkride, before he leaves at the end of the year. Tomorrow I expect to work in towered airspace, and hopefully can maintain progress. I am also buckling down on my written exam prep.