Need Identification Help

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wwz7777

HBA Supporter
Hello all,

Here’s a drawing of an aircraft that I saw while hiking last week.

0420D04B-B956-44B4-BF7E-4CFD187340EC.jpeg
It appeared to be about 4-6000’ above me and was moving pretty quickly . It wasn’t silent but made very little noise. The vertical surface appeared to extend above and below the wing. There was no fuselage behind the wing. The main gear and vertical surfaces could only be seen by sun glints whenever it turned.
I’m not familiar with aircraft this small so I have no ideas.
Thoughts, guesses?

Cheers!

TFF

Recent discussion with a friend about the Edmund Scientific Catalog, I say balloon. I imagine it was a drone.

Wanttaja

Dyke Delta? Doesn't match the gear, and the tail doesn't extend below, but the planform is similar.
1613503028840.png

Ron Wanttaja

wwz7777

HBA Supporter
It didn’t appear to be an RC aircraft. The turns were wide and not jerky. The last I saw it, it was heading North towards Hermosillo, Mexico. We were in the the mountains and I didn’t see an operator. And it wasn’t a quad-copter or anything drone-like that I’ve seen.

Hephaestus

dbtgallery.png
FMX-4 | eaa292 - it was taxi testing and needing covering last year, doesn't exactly meet the profile but closer.

Hatfield little bird - but I think the current owner is here somewhere and it was nowhere close to flying.

Unless someone built an Arup but I think we'd have heard something about that...

addaon

Lifetime Supporter
Are you sure there was a prop in front? Could be someone sticking a trike under a Woopy Fly. (Which goes under the heading of "I've had worse ideas, but can't think of any right now," in my mind.)

robertl

Hello all,

View attachment 107547
It appeared to be about 4-6000’ above me and was moving pretty quickly . It wasn’t silent but made very little noise. The vertical surface appeared to extend above and below the wing. There was no fuselage behind the wing. The main gear and vertical surfaces could only be seen by sun glints whenever it turned.
Thoughts, guesses?

Cheers!
I believe there was something like that from back in the 30's or 40's. And of course, the military in the 50's.

wwz7777

HBA Supporter
Well, maybe it was an RC model, but where we were there are no paved areas or roads. Just a lot of rocks, dirt, and scrub brush. Oh well....

Thanks for the ideas!

TFF

Who said it was small? A Predator could easily carry a person. One reason the FAA was caught out with small drones was it was concentrating on big ones that the aerospace companies were pushing. 2007 to be exact. Small ones just happened to evade the FAA until it was big business. 1000+ lb drones fly every day, you just can’t go to the hobby shop and get one. The whole point of ADSB is that it will allow drones to “see” you.

Kamcoman77

Hello all,

View attachment 107547
Thoughts, guesses?

Cheers!
How bout this?

Attachments