• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need help with new roadable design.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarJar

Hi,
I'm planning on building a roadable airplane in the future.
I want to use some ideas from Rutan's Bipod, and make a homebuilt one. The difference in mine is that it will have three wheels and be registered as a motorcycle. I'm going to use one big motor instead of 4 small ones. I'm going to use one engine and generater instead of two.
Batteries will be backup and takeoff boost, just like Rutan's. I'm going to use hub motors on all three wheels.
I'm not only looking for GOOD advice in this forum, but also for someone who has the ability to partner with me to complete the final design. I think it would be a great opportunity for the right person. I don't have the money to build it right now, but I will soon.
Let me say that I think Rutan's design is very ingenious, and do-able. I give him full credit for steering me in this direction. I just want to bypass the automobile regulations, and the multi-engine..err..motor requirements.
So lets have some fun and find ways to get this in the air...safely. I'm ready for any questions.
It's better to hash it out with you guys, than average sections of the population.

(translated) "Don't wear a red shirt to a bull run." -Paco

Last edited:
Back