Need Help in Finding the Right Material

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Greetings Friends,

I hope you all are doing well and in good health.

Some of you may be aware that I am currently building a Pulsar I kit from Aero Designs. Aero Designs is no longer in operation so factory support is non existent.

I am looking for the specific type of "foam boards" they used for the wing ribs. The ribs are made from the Blue Dow Foam Board with 2.2 pound density according to the parts manifest.

Having already completed construction of the starboard wing, I would like to use the exact same material for the Port wing. The reason I need more board is because I have a few ribs that were broken during handling by me on accident of course.

Aero Designs supplied the wing ribs already precut with no spare material. Thankfully, I was smart enough to trace the Starboard Ribs out on my build table before I built the wing just in case I were to need to replace one.

I'm just unsure of where to find this material and if there is a special type they used not typically found in the aviation isle at Lowes (LOL).

If someone could help me tackle this issue I would be forever in your debt. It is seriously holding my project up and after a semi exhausting effort to find the right type I decided to pull the trigger and ask my friends at Homebuiltairplanes.com

Thank you all for your time, consideration, and effort on this matter.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Yellowhammer

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
It is commonly used as roof insulation in areas with colder temperatures. Aircraft Spruce should carry that, it's exactly what all those thousands of Vari-Eze and Long-EZ's were built out of. Any local EAA chapter that has anyone building a "moldless" canard airplane should have some laying around. If you weren't so darn far away I'd give you a board of it from my EAA hangar. If you don't mind the difference in color, Dow Corning makes an equivalent that is called "Foamular". These foams come in different densities, 2.2 pounds is just one of them.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
It is commonly used as roof insulation in areas with colder temperatures. Aircraft Spruce should carry that, it's exactly what all those thousands of Vari-Eze and Long-EZ's were built out of. Any local EAA chapter that has anyone building a "moldless" canard airplane should have some laying around. If you weren't so darn far away I'd give you a board of it from my EAA hangar. If you don't mind the difference in color, Dow Corning makes an equivalent that is called "Foamular". These foams come in different densities, 2.2 pounds is just one of them.

VB,

Thank you for the clarification sir. I have investigated the Foamular as well but wasn't sure it was it acceptable! Now I know. I should be able to find that. I wish I lived closer to you as well.

There isn't even an EAA chapter close by where I live. I have been talking to the EAA about starting one at our airport. We have more than a few EAA members in a 25 -40 miles radius with no chapter affiliation.

One thing I did notice was that Lowes and Homedepot do not carry the 2.2 pound density board. All I have been able to find is 1.5 density. That goes for both Dow and Owings Corning. I will just end up buying for ACS.

Thank you for your kindness sir! You are a gentleman.

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter

Protech Racing

poormansairforce

YH, my son and I just checked the price of some of this today at Home Depot for use in a small collapsible pontoon boat. $40 a sheet with a bunch in stock. If they only have the 2" available you can hotwire slabs out of that.

raymondbird

HBA Supporter
I found my XPS at Lowes . Pinkish 1 in , 15 PSI. I can find the part # if you like .
Are you absolutely sure about this stuff? I ended up buying "flotation billet" for mine as it is made of larger bubbles like the stuff Rutan specifies and Aircraft spruce sells for structural use. I think you'll find as I did, that the glass just peels right off that fine grained stuff . . . ?

speedracer

reymondbird is right. Don't use the smooth, fine grain stuff used for insulation. I know a guy who built his winglets out of that and had delam. problems. I think Aircraft Spruce sells the large bubble foam. If you rub your knuckles across it, it will draw blood.

Map

The blue foam was used by a lot of Pulsar builders and many have regretted it, including me! This is styrofoam and it is not solvent resistant and even fumes can cause it to just dissolve and disappear. This has happened to some of us and caused a lot of headache on how to replace ribs in a closed wing structure. It is very much recommended to use a solvent/fuel resistant foam like Divinicell for these ribs. This foam is available from Aircraft Spruce for example.

Protech Racing

The tight foam passed the glue test with Gorilla glue and 5200.
I am not using glass on the 1 in