• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need Help Determining Vertical Suspension Travel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

I have a single seat 85% Cub project which is much like the N3 Pup that I have to build landing gear for. I want to be able to have good off field landing gear performance, but I'm not sure how much vertical wheel travel it should have. It will use bungee cords on Cub style struts with big tires.

The struts will be slotted for a safety bolt that limits strut travel and I need to know how much vertical wheel travel it should have to make the slot the correct length for that amount of wheel travel.
I was thinking 1" below level axel for no load and 1.5" above level axel for a total of 2.5" of vertical wheel travel. The gear will be sprung so the axels are level at take off weight.

Is this enough vertical wheel travel? What would you recommend?

ZZ

Back