Need a smaller landing light...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TXFlyGuy

We just learned that the supplied landing light from Titan is too big. Our inner gear doors will not allow the lamp to be installed in the normal location. My choice is:

1. find a smaller lamp assembly that will fit.
2. go without a landing light.

Here is a picture of a typical installation -
IMG_0332.jpg

Aerowerx

Could you mount the landing light elsewhere?

Nice plane, by the way. I've always thought the P-51 was one of the most beautiful planes ever built.

TXFlyGuy

Could you mount the landing light elsewhere?

Nice plane, by the way. I've always thought the P-51 was one of the most beautiful planes ever built.
Some have eliminated the light altogether, some have mounted it in the leading edge of the wing. It was suggested to mount it on the gear strut. If we cannot locate it in the proper place, we will go without it. I do not plan on flying after dark anyway.

don january

Log Member
I'd like to see a light built into the leading edge of the wing near the root. I built mine on the KR-2 and had fun, the cover plate was a pain to get hot and let flow over my leading edge pattern but third time was a charm it fit fine:) I did get caught out late on night and was glad I had it!

Daleandee

Take a look at some off road LED lamps. I have two on my Cleanex. The ones I purchased are 2.8 amps for nearly 2600 Lumens each. The ones I used would be too large for your application but my point is that newer LED lighting is quite impressive and affordable. Here's a video of what I did:

Dunno if this helps,

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
121.3 hours / Status - Flying

Last edited by a moderator:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter

TXFlyGuy

This would work, 2" with your choice of 25 or 45 degree beams, other options on the same site as well but most that looked more traditional were 3.25" and up. I have one of their large, flat multiple LED work lights on my truck, easy to connect, waterproof, rock solid.

View attachment 51159 View attachment 51160

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/off-road-driving-lights/led-auxiliary-light-2-round-10w-heavy-duty-off-road-driving-light/3075/
I'm sure they would fit, but only 10 watts. That would not be very much light.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Whaddya want, an egg in your beer? ;-p The numbers vary but an LED is definitely putting out more light per watt than an incandescent. The same site has 2" and 3" square ones that are much brighter I figured you'd prefer the look of a round one.

goldrush

Some months ago, I fitted 2 of these 18 watt 9 Epistar leds from Malaysia to my SSDR aircraft (similar to Part 103)....

18W Bright Motorcycle 6 LED Fog White Headlight Spot Light Durable 12-80V | eBay

75mm diameter, very light weight because of the cheap and nasty ugly pressed ali housing/heat sink, rubbish mounting bracket etc.... but about 2,300 lumen light output each, and unlike many other led lamps they do not cause rfi.

Need to modify the rubbish mounting bracket etc but at only $4 each plus postage... worth a punt, ,or the leds and lens unit could easily be modified and fitted to a better housing

Last edited:

Toobuilder

Log Member
I run Trustfire flashlights with great success. I modified a small 3 CREE head unit and ran two of them in the wingtip. These were about 2 inches in diameter and very bright. I went with a single, larger, 9 LED light so these are now surplus.

They are ready to mount and accept a standard ring terminal straight off ships power. I'd let you have the pair for $100

Arthur Brown

Leds are good for power but can be poor for beam shape, they do need their own controller to power the chip without overheating. Look for something with a good beam shape then fit enough of them.

OR

Look in the disco/stage lighting world for PAR 36 lamps (PAR -Polished Reflector, number is diameter in eighths of an inch. PAR 36 come in 36 to 100w and 6 to 12v they are all nice long useful beams to land by. PAR 46 include some to 400w inc 250w at 28v which usually come up surplus as ACLs (Aircraft landing lights!) mine say need high speed air to cool them (they are used to 200Kts! fast jet speed).

Swampyankee

Do remember that only about 5% of the energy put into an incandescent light bulb comes out as visible light. The rest get turned into heat. LEDs are much more efficient, so a 10 W LED bulb puts out about as much light as a 50 W incandescent bulb.

Toobuilder

Log Member
I can tell you with absolute certainty that those little LED flashlight heads throw more light than the 100w aircraft bulb sitting right next to them. The flashlights are blinding, even in daylight. And they can be seen long before the strobes in any light condition. And they pull about 2 amps.

Group Builder