Quantcast

Need a helping hand on the West coast

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
No, your best bet is to go see Dick and Sharon and the boys, bring a couple of six-packs, tell them you bought a right and proper WW1 replica project designed by Mr. Baslee, ensure them that you will of course be bringing that project back home to the global epicenter of WW1 replica activity, put the six-packs down on the workbench...and borrow one of their trailers.
That's pure genius! I've been out to Liberty Landing talking to a Hummel builder, but there weren't any Dawn Patrol folks there at the time. I got a hangar tour though, which is what put the bug in my head to get a Baslee design. I'll reach out and see what can be worked out.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Did a little digging to try to figure out the weight on my big boat trailer. The closest I found is a landscaping trailer from tractor supply. They list it at 1500 pounds, but mine doesn't have a wood bed, just a wood keel support. and welded on adjustable height hull supports. I could cut off the hull supports, tack in an expanded metal bed, and probably be around 1250. My SUV has plenty of towing capacity for that plus the project. New tires, the bed, new lights would be around $500 bucks. Might very well be smarter to buy a new trailer out there and sell it when I get home. That is, if the Starks don't take pity on me and loan/rent me a trailer...Come to think of it, I might get one of the Dawn Patrol members to do a 5 day road trip and share the driving load. Hmmm, this might work out after all.

Pilot-34

If you are going to want a trailer to use to take it to events I think I’d be inclined to find a boat trailer locally and fix it up.
Tires
Thing about a boat trailer is you can find them built for light but long loads.
New tires
i have a sailboat trailer with a telescopic tongue that’s very adaptable.
Add new tires
If you buy it at home you can go over it . You can clean and repack the bearings and bearing
buddies, add new wiring and my favorite trailer modification add some shock absorbers.
And add new tires
Heck even a new paint job !
with new tires...

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
What is the current situation on this project?
It's safe in the hangar space that was offered, and I'm watching the news for a good window of opportunity to make the pick up. If anyone is interested in saving me the trip, it wouldn't take much persuading to get me to sell....at this point, I'm not sure the project was built as the ultralight version, and I might be better off starting with a new kit from Airdrome. Won't know for sure until I pick it up.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
What is the current situation on this project?
I took some good advice, and have a boat trailer (with new tires), that I'm setting up for the trip I need to redo the lights, but it has new tires on new hubs, so I think it's a good platform for this use.

Pilot-34

It looks like I’m going to be driving a rental back from Long Beach to central Illinois i’m leaving sometime Friday Saturday or Monday.
I’m pretty sure I can get a pick up truck for about 100 a day
If it can be crated to go in the back I would be glad to deliver it to you for expenses.

I can’t often do this but it just kind of works out for this trip

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I think the longest dimension is the fuselage at a little over 12 feet. I haven't directly measured anything myself. I don't know how easy crating it would be, but if a side trip to Fresno to take a look didn't hinder your plans, I'd be happy to reimburse for expenses to bring it home (I expect my direct expenses for a sprint out and back in my own vehicle with just stops to get fuel, take a leak, etc, being around $400. If you can come close to that, it would be a great solution). I'd even spring for some KC bbq (the best) on your way through!

Pilot-34

And now I feel like a complete horses patootie
First one dispatcher called me up and let me know they can’t to get me a truck out of the LA area
A second dispatcher called me up and told me they had a load for me so not to be mad at the first dispatcher because they didn’t have a truck
I think they thought I was upset about not getting a load out and apparently they went through a lot of extra effort to find me one
So now I feel like a complete horses but telling you that I am not going to be able to move it this weekend.

Pilot-34

On the upside I spent a while looking at the picture of the plane in the U-Haul and it looks to me like that could easily easily be loaded in a pick up truck you might want to use a few cross pieces to adjust the height of things but it looks like it’s doable

Rockiedog2

The day it hit 122 degrees was rather epic......Our JT8 powered 737s were parked for a few hours since we didn't have operating charts for temps that high.
I was there
The Boeing charts topped out at 121.
3 hours hanging around the ramp office drinking hot coffee.
Go figure...

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
And now I feel like a complete horses patootie
First one dispatcher called me up and let me know they can’t to get me a truck out of the LA area
A second dispatcher called me up and told me they had a load for me so not to be mad at the first dispatcher because they didn’t have a truck
I think they thought I was upset about not getting a load out and apparently they went through a lot of extra effort to find me one
So now I feel like a complete horses but telling you that I am not going to be able to move it this weekend.
No worries, but thanks anyway for the offer! I expect to make the trip sometime after LAbor Day, if things show signs of calming down. I saw this morning on the news that Cali had surpassed 600K confirmed cases, but it can't go on forever.

Victor Bravo

Traffic on the freeway here (LA area) is starting to get a little more crowded than it's been for the last few months, if that is any indication. We can't just set the cruise control at 75 and leave it for 30 miles until we hit our off-ramp. We actually have brake lights here again (oh happy day...).

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Watching the news this morning, I was alarmed by how rapidly the wildfires have spread, and how difficult the pandemic is making the response (can't use prison firefighters due to Covid in the prisons) and how distancing requirements are slowing the response down. It looks to be north of the folks in Fresno, but situations can change rapidly. I hope everyone out in Cali is safe and sound!