Quantcast

Need a helping hand on the West coast

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

Uhaul charges mileage. The car rental side of Enterprise will rent trailers and a pickup (up to half ton I think) with a tow package (unlimited miles). If you prefer a box truck, Penske and Enterprise Truck have them without mileage charges, but the Penske trucks are usually newer and nicer, and have wood floors for nailing and securing.

I have a friend that trucks planes cross-country as a side job. I knew he was headed to Florida this week to pick up a Thatcher he had bought for himself, so I asked if he’d be interested in taking this plane out to Missouri on his way to Florida as a means to help defray part of his deadhead cost. He said he would have loved to do that, but he had already bought his airline ticket last week and reserved a one way truck from Florida. As Maxwell Smart would say, “Missed it by that much.”
Your friend rents trucks to transport other peoples airplanes?
What type of a truck does he prefer?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Your friend rents trucks to transport other peoples airplanes?
What type of a truck does he prefer?
Usually, he will rent a Penske box truck if the plane is small enough. If the plane is larger, he will also rent a trailer to tow behind the box truck.

Pilot-34

That is a rather unique business plan That is a rather unique business plan!
I deliver those trucks sometimes when the company is paying me to move them and I have to agree Penske trucks were significantly better than U-Haul

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I just checked trailer prices Fresno to Springfield Missouri
That's so weird. I rented a u haul trailer a few years back to go get a couple of complete Corvair core engines, drove clear up into Wisconsin to get them, and all I paid was the daily rate, no mileage. Up and back over a weekend was around $50 bucks after taxes. That was several hundred miles round trip, but nothing like out and bacl to Cali.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
When I was hauling airplanes, I had a 3/4 ton truck , 8' bed, with a box steel rack on top that went from the front bumper to the rear bumper ( with side rails and could put down a plywood floor if needed , to haul wings ), that was 1' wider than the truck.
Also a twin axle flat bed 28' trailer with a Hyd tilt bed with a winch on the front to load the fuselage. Put the tail surfaces under the fuselage or in the truck bed. Hauled many airplanes. Never any problems. Sometimes would haul high wing Cessna's with just the wings off and a wide load permit for the wide stab and elevator.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
That's so weird. I rented a u haul trailer a few years back to go get a couple of complete Corvair core engines, drove clear up into Wisconsin to get them, and all I paid was the daily rate, no mileage. Up and back over a weekend was around $50 bucks after taxes. That was several hundred miles round trip, but nothing like out and bacl to Cali.
A one way drop off always costs much more. They don't expect much mileage on a trailer used to move furniture across town and then returned to the same store.

Pilot-34

That’s why I recommended picking up a trailer where he was at and taking it with him and returning it locally
Those rates are actually quite inexpensive I suspect if you booked it the other direction they would be twice that much.
I have had customers who insisted on renting a trailer one way to Southern California from the north east and it was actually cheaper to buy the trailer that it was to pay a one-way rental.
Both truck and rental rates have to do with the usage at the time in the direction of the flow.

Last edited:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
A one way drop off always costs much more. They don't expect much mileage on a trailer used to move furniture across town and then returned to the same store.
That makes sense. When I rented the trailer, I didn't specify I was going out of town. Glad this came up, because I was planning a one way rental when I got out to Cali. I'm seriously considering buying a trailer when I get out there, and maybe selling it when I get back home. Lots to consider...

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Trucks can have mileage charges, but trailers have no odometer, so they are rented for a daily charge only (no mileage fees). With the number of people fleeing California, one way truck and trailer rentals OUT of California are usually much more expensive than one way rentals anywhere else, if you can even find someone that will rent one way out. Some places even make great deals if you rent a one way INTO California because they would otherwise have to deadhead the units back to Cali to replenish the dwindling supply.

Victor Bravo

Spend some quality time with Craigslist and recycler.com and you will find many trailers for sale here in Southern California. You can probably recover 75% or 80% of the cost of that trailer when you get back home with it. There will be some value loss, because stuff is probably more expensive here, and there will be some significant expenditure of time on your part to do all this negotiating and buying/selling.

Another option that I have used is U-Ship, an online marketplace for space in trucks/trailers that happen to be going in the direction you need. You will save a fair amount of money this way, but (no free lunch) you will need to have someone pack and load the airplane project safely and carefully into whoever's truck/trailer shows up... most of the drivers will have no idea of how fragile or "soft" airplane parts are compared to bricks or horseshoes or refrigerators.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Spend some quality time with Craigslist and recycler.com and you will find many trailers for sale here in Southern California. You can probably recover 75% or 80% of the cost of that trailer when you get back home with it. There will be some value loss, because stuff is probably more expensive here, and there will be some significant expenditure of time on your part to do all this negotiating and buying/selling.

Another option that I have used is U-Ship, an online marketplace for space in trucks/trailers that happen to be going in the direction you need. You will save a fair amount of money this way, but (no free lunch) you will need to have someone pack and load the airplane project safely and carefully into whoever's truck/trailer shows up... most of the drivers will have no idea of how fragile or "soft" airplane parts are compared to bricks or horseshoes or refrigerators.
I looked into U-ship, but they wanted almost as much as I paid for the project to ship it. Various shipping companies have all either been crazy high, or not interested in the small load. For the money, nobody can touch me driving out and bringing it home. Whether I rent or buy a trailer is the question now. I hadn't even thought about buying used once I got out there. Good tip!

Victor Bravo

Courtesy of a 5 minute search on the Fresno Craigslist:

$600 in Fresno, spend a day with some plywood and a tarp and you're done.

$1200 in Fresno, add tarps and straps

$300 in Fresno, another "2 sheets of plywood and a screw gun" project

Another Fresno $500 cheapie

Another Fresno $300 cheapie

Obviously these are the low-end cheapskate solution, where you will need to do some work on it to protect the airplane project. Tarps, plywood, etc. and a day of your time. If your budget allows, there are plenty of other options for enclosed trailers that will need less work. There are also several other Craigslist regions in the area.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
That's awesome, but if I go a little higher, I can get brand new from Northern tool...Easier to sell when I get home, or keep it for the next project!

Pilot-34

Didn’t you say you brought home a boat? Any chance you still got the trailer?

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Didn’t you say you brought home a boat? Any chance you still got the trailer?
Yes I do. It was a farm trailer converted to hold a keelboat. It's in bad enough shape that I'd have to put some money in it to be confident it would make a 3000+ mile trip. Need new tires at least. Lights are shot. It never had brakes, but it's heavy enough I might need them. Dual axle, 6000# hitch. No idea what the trailer weighs empty, but it's not a lightweight.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Get a new trailer at Harbor Freight and assemble for about $300 in Fresno.
That's always been in the back of my mind as an easy enough approach to take. I wish they had a trailer longer than 8 feet. The dawn patrol group here in town modified trailers in a clever way, but they built fairly long extensions to the tongue, and a platform at the back for the landing gear, with the wings and empennage stored in a flat compartment under the fuselage. Maybe my best bet is to go see them, build a trailer to that spec, and take it our with me. No worries about damage to the components on the drive home. They drive hundreds of miles to airshows when they don't have time to fly, or chance bad weather.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I plan on selling it. It's just to big and heavy and I'll never need it's capacity.

Victor Bravo

No, your best bet is to go see Dick and Sharon and the boys, bring a couple of six-packs, tell them you bought a right and proper WW1 replica project designed by Mr. Baslee, ensure them that you will of course be bringing that project back home to the global epicenter of WW1 replica activity, put the six-packs down on the workbench...and borrow one of their trailers.

Pilot-34

Boat trailers are cheap in fact sometimes they will give you the boat trailer if you haul off the boat that’s on it.......