Quantcast

Need a helping hand on the West coast

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

This really isn’t that hard
If you’ve got a pick up truck buy or rent a trailer locally Wash it and disinfected there Same with tools and straps etc
Same with your cooler but fill it with food
Make a big O box of canned or ready to eat food
Take plenty of drinks
Don’t take fresh vegetables and fruit into California
Take a sleeping bag or blanket to sleep in your truck
Put your mask and gloves on before buying fuel and then throw them away
Take a bucket and a box of trash bags for a Offroad commode
Don’t get out of your truck except fuel up and load up.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
================

One Option, Fly Commercial out of KC 5hrs 25min $234 out, or take a train or Bus out, then Rent Uhaul Truck out there and drive it back Home. Just Wear a Mask when around other People and Bio Wipe your hands and Bio Spray and Wipe your Truck. You can also Rent a Container and have it Truck Shipped. I had a 55 Chevy shipped years ago by Truck Freight NJ to Des Moines for $950.
That was the original plan. It was going to be the fastest option, and about the same expense as driving and renting a trailer for the trip home. Then the airlines started filling the planes back up, and the whole mess with security lines and lack of distancing. As the death toll rises, I get more cautious. Especially since the destination, and most points in between are showing big increases in cases reported, hospitalizations, and deaths. Homebuilding airplanes is a hobby, not a life and death pursuit for me, so as they say, discretion is the better part of valor. Now that the time pressure is reduced, I can wait for some indication that we've turned a corner, or just make a dash out there and get it. It was a sunk cost when it was just the deposit, now it's a much bigger sunk cost. In economics terms, I'm falling into the trap...

cblink.007

Hah! I was chased by a bear last weekend. I was out hiking off trail looking for wild mushrooms when he saw me and headed for me at a trot, I decided I'd rather be somewhere else. He kept following me until I was out of sight over the ridge. My neighbor the park ranger says the bears have been a big problem lately in that area to the point that they've prohibited camping in the area.
All my friends who did a military assignment in Alaska came back with a bear story. All of them!!

pictsidhe

Chased by a bear? You've not seen a bear run...

Having had the zombie plague along with three relatives, I wouldn't recommend it. But, I wouldn't spend the rest of my life at home, either. It's not fun for many people. A road trip with precautions at stops is not going to be high risk. Probably less than a trip to a busy supermarket...

Get on with life, while being a bit more careful. Shotgun not required!

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I have accepted a generous offer of hangar space to give me a little more time to arrange to pick up the Fokker project. It should be moved tomorrow, and it's a load off my mind to not be burdening the seller during his move. Still not sure why moving to Phoenix in the summer was the best plan, but best wishes to him! Thanks to everyone for the input and encouragement to not let the Fokker get away. I'm going out to talk to Robert Baslee about how best to proceed on replacing any missing parts, and pick his brain about modifying the design to make the V25. If it works out, I think turning a D7 into a V23 could be fun as well. One step at a time though...
Middle of Summer doesn’t make much difference here. Remember, he’s moving from Fresno which can be as hot or hotter than Phoenix, and just about every sane individual is leaving California to get away from its politics. I’m still here, which doesn’t reflect my political views, but it might speak volumes about my sanity! 🤪

That V25 is different... I was not previously aware of its existence.

1595743725631.png

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Have you checked the price of a move with U-Haul?

In most circumstances I have found it’s cheaper to rent a pickup truck one-way from the car side of enterprise
when it comes to trailers on a move of over 1000 miles I find it’s cheaper just to buy one
So far I have been able to buy A trailer and then sell it and make money.
I usually buy new tires as soon as I buy the trailer and I buy bearing buddies and pack the hubs full of grease.
you’re going to need a grease gun when you put the bearing buddies on to fill with grease,
Take it with you and every time you stop to check the trailer at least every couple of hours put a squirt of grease in the bearings but don’t overfill and push the bearing buddies off

Bill-Higdon

Middle of Summer doesn’t make much difference here. Remember, he’s moving from Fresno which can ba as hot or hotter than Phoenix.

View attachment 99533
A friend and his wife grew up & lived in Fresno for many years, themnlived in PDX for several years moved back to Fresno after about 6 years when his wife got a chance to transfer to Southern Oregon they said "We're out of here" & Moved to cooler climates

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Might get the whole kit on an Enterprise rental truck and no trailer. I had good experience with Enterprise. Not so much with UHaul.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hah! I was chased by a bear last weekend. I was out hiking off trail looking for wild mushrooms when he saw me and headed for me at a trot, I decided I'd rather be somewhere else. He kept following me until I was out of sight over the ridge. My neighbor the park ranger says the bears have been a big problem lately in that area to the point that they've prohibited camping in the area.
22K acres of pulp wood country NE of the runway. People have seen mountain lions from time to time. Always pack.

When I was about 12 years old I stayed out to late and it got pitch black dark and I didn't have a light and had to walk about 2.5 miles in the woods to get home. So dark, opening or closing your eyes made no difference and a Bob Cat stayed so close behind me I could hear him walking in the leaves on the ground. Every few minutes he would stop and scream. He followed me all the way home. A bob cat scream would scare anyone with a beating heart.

Pilot-34

last I checked with enterprise or you could get a one-way rental of a half ton pick up truck for like $110 a day but you have to do that off the car side of enterprise
If you rent off of the truck side it seems like they were charging almost a dollar a mile.
If you can get a local rental with unlimited mileage it’s usually a lot cheaper per day and maybe safer than an airline as far as the Covid thing

I did a little looking at the kits and I think you could build a pallet that would slide in the back of an 8 foot bed pick up truck to mount your kit on especially if it doesn’t have its engine mounted yet

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I have accepted a generous offer of hangar space to give me a little more time to arrange to pick up the Fokker project. It should be moved tomorrow, and it's a load off my mind to not be burdening the seller during his move. Still not sure why moving to Phoenix in the summer was the best plan, but best wishes to him! Thanks to everyone for the input and encouragement to not let the Fokker get away. I'm going out to talk to Robert Baslee about how best to proceed on replacing any missing parts, and pick his brain about modifying the design to make the V25. If it works out, I think turning a D7 into a V23 could be fun as well. One step at a time though...
Middle of Summer doesn’t make much difference here. Remember, he’s moving from Fresno which can ba as hot or hotter than Phoenix.

View attachment 99533

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
There have been some threads talking about it, basically a low wing D8. There's also the V23, which is a mid wing D7 with a DR1 rudder. WW1 aircraft replicas are still pretty rare, but there's a very active group right in my back yard at Liberty Landing airport. Having them, and Airdrome aeroplanes in town should make things go a lot easier. The original plan was to build the D8 as an ultralight (that's a version they sell as a kit, or the standard model). We'll see if the original builder used the lighter weight tubing. If not, I'll look at which way to take the project after getting advice from the local experts. Building as a UL simplifies a lot of things, since there's no builder log and sketchy documentation. I'm not certain getting an airworthiness cert. will be easy. No worries about that if it's a UL.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Have you checked the price of a move with U-Haul?

In most circumstances I have found it’s cheaper to rent a pickup truck one-way from the car side of enterprise
when it comes to trailers on a move of over 1000 miles I find it’s cheaper just to buy one
So far I have been able to buy A trailer and then sell it and make money.
I usually buy new tires as soon as I buy the trailer and I buy bearing buddies and pack the hubs full of grease.
you’re going to need a grease gun when you put the bearing buddies on to fill with grease,
Take it with you and every time you stop to check the trailer at least every couple of hours put a squirt of grease in the bearings but don’t overfill and push the bearing buddies off
I've thought about that, but one way U-haul trailers are dirt cheap to rent, so I haven't decided yet. I don't know how it was transported this time, I think they might have just used a long bed pickup. The project is tube and gusset construction, super light, and just the basic airframe, so it might very well fit in a pickup. I need to find that out. Thanks for the input, I wish I'd had that when I towed the boat home years ago!

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Uhaul charges mileage. The car rental side of Enterprise will rent trailers and a pickup (up to half ton I think) with a tow package (unlimited miles). If you prefer a box truck, Penske and Enterprise Truck have them without mileage charges, but the Penske trucks are usually newer and nicer, and have wood floors for nailing and securing.

I have a friend that trucks planes cross-country as a side job. I knew he was headed to Florida this week to pick up a Thatcher he had bought for himself, so I asked if he’d be interested in taking this plane out to Missouri on his way to Florida as a means to help defray part of his deadhead cost. He said he would have loved to do that, but he had already bought his airline ticket last week and reserved a one way truck from Florida. As Maxwell Smart would say, “Missed it by that much.”

Last edited:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Middle of Summer doesn’t make much difference here. Remember, he’s moving from Fresno which can be as hot or hotter than Phoenix, and just about every sane individual is leaving California to get away from its politics. I’m still here, which doesn’t reflect my political views, but it might speak volumes about my sanity! 🤪

View attachment 99533
A lot of people look at the D8 and think a little bit of work could turn it into a V40, which was a post war, smaller version designed as a sport plane. Since this kit is three quarter size anyway, I think I could leave off the replica guns and call it a V40 as is.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I don't know how it was transported this time, I think they might have just used a long bed pickup.
The seller had a trailer and a pickup. We put a few parts in the bed of his pickup, but most went into the open box trailer. It was an easy move. I recall him saying that it could be moved in the back of a pickup, but I’m sure you would probably want a full length bed (not the short length that comes with the crew cab style). You would also want some thick padding where it might ready on the edge of the tailgate or across the top of the cab. I’ll go out and measure the fuselage and wing panels and post them here later.

B8C98869-B15C-4AC1-A120-F0E5DFB826B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I think the seller had told me the fuselage was right around 12 feet. I think the longest wing panel is 8 feet. Hopefully he had all the pieces...

Victor Bravo

The rental box trucks have a suspension that will totally trash a delicate light airframe if you're not careful. I have had damage to airplanes with those box trucks. You need a couple or three tons of sandbags to mellow out the suspension