Quantcast

Need a helping hand on the West coast

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Back before the pandemic, I was the high bidder in an auction for an Airdrome aeroplanes Fokker D8. The problem is, since the pandemic, travel restrictions, hot zones and rolling lockdowns have kept me from going out to get the project and bring it home to Missouri. The seller has been sympathetic, but he's moving to Pheonix and getting rid of his hangar. I've come to terms with my deposit being a sunk cost, and just letting the project go, but I thought I'd try a long shot and see if someone already in the area could take possession of the project and hold it until things improve enough for me to make the trip. It's 1500 miles one way, which doesn't bother me, but the potential for catching or spreading the virus is just too big a risk. The project is close to Fresno. My plan has always been to take a couple of days each way, and do a one way trailer rental to haul it home. Anyone see possibilities for resolving the problem? I'm less concerned about losing the deposit than putting the seller in a jam over getting rid of this project he's not interested in finishing. I was the only bidder in the auction, and he's run it by a few people who claimed to be interested locally, but weren't serious buyers. I was planning to take the project and rework it into a Fokker V25 (Airdrome aeroplanes is local to me, so I could work with the designer directly to make it happen). Thanks!

TFF

I would not be worried about a road trip in that I would be picky on where I stopped and would not stray from the mission. That’s a long trip. Bring a tent and disinfectant. It would be fun.

D Hillberg

Back before the pandemic, I was the high bidder in an auction for an Airdrome aeroplanes Fokker D8. The problem is, since the pandemic, travel restrictions, hot zones and rolling lockdowns have kept me from going out to get the project and bring it home to Missouri. The seller has been sympathetic, but he's moving to Pheonix and getting rid of his hangar. I've come to terms with my deposit being a sunk cost, and just letting the project go, but I thought I'd try a long shot and see if someone already in the area could take possession of the project and hold it until things improve enough for me to make the trip. It's 1500 miles one way, which doesn't bother me, but the potential for catching or spreading the virus is just too big a risk. The project is close to Fresno. My plan has always been to take a couple of days each way, and do a one way trailer rental to haul it home. Anyone see possibilities for resolving the problem? I'm less concerned about losing the deposit than putting the seller in a jam over getting rid of this project he's not interested in finishing. I was the only bidder in the auction, and he's run it by a few people who claimed to be interested locally, but weren't serious buyers. I was planning to take the project and rework it into a Fokker V25 (Airdrome aeroplanes is local to me, so I could work with the designer directly to make it happen). Thanks!
Pick it up. This isn't Soviet Russia. . .Yet. (It's not the 'virus')

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
1. Make the trip.........if you are that worried about contracting the Corona virus then wear a mask & gloves when stopping for food & fuel,sleep in your truck or throw a sleeping bag in the bed of the truck.
Rough it for a few days.......

2. Call the airport and explain the situation and possibly rent the hangar he is giving up until you can make the trip or until you have someone take possession of the project.
They might even know of someone with enough space in their hangar to hold it for you.

3. Talk to Robert at Airdrome.....he may know of another kit builder in the area that can help.

No reason to lose your money or the project............

Kevin

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
VB might know someone near the Fresno area. I know Patrick Panzera, editor at Contactmagazine.com lives near Fresno and has plenty of contacts in that area.

Why would anyone move here to the Phoenix area at this time of year......its just way too hot!

Terry

Victor Bravo

There you go ^^^^^^^^

In Southern California we are supposed to wear masks when we're out in public, in a store, the market, etc. Most of us do. Take a moment and think, if you are driving out here in a car on the highway, you are in fact pretty much "social distanced" more than six feet, and behind steel car doors, from anyone for over 90% of the time. Pretty safe. So get a good mask, or if you are paranoid use a paint respirator, and carry a bottle of sanitizer and a box of rubber gloves. Every time you get out of the car at a gas station, put on the mask and gloves beforeyou go into the store, or touch thepump, or swipe your card. Sanitize your hands in the gloves after you get done with the gas pump, then carefully remove the gloves as you get in to the car, and you have a pretty safe operation.

TFF

Pretty much everywhere people abide by common sense. Loose is where you get into trouble like 20 year olds wanting to be 20 year olds. You have business to conduct, they would not stop you. Being a nuisance with no respect for others, and you will pay for it.

Anyway there have been so many Cannonball records broken since it’s all started; because of the open roads, coast to coast stands at 24 hours. If someone can barrel across the us at an average of 130 and not get caught, I think I could look important enough to be left alone.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I have accepted a generous offer of hangar space to give me a little more time to arrange to pick up the Fokker project. It should be moved tomorrow, and it's a load off my mind to not be burdening the seller during his move. Still not sure why moving to Phoenix in the summer was the best plan, but best wishes to him! Thanks to everyone for the input and encouragement to not let the Fokker get away. I'm going out to talk to Robert Baslee about how best to proceed on replacing any missing parts, and pick his brain about modifying the design to make the V25. If it works out, I think turning a D7 into a V23 could be fun as well. One step at a time though...

Shorttimer

I second that! I worked in Phoenix, P to F conversions for FedX in 1995, and it never got below 100*, day or night, for 90 straight days !!!

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
The day it hit 122 degrees was rather epic......Our JT8 powered 737s were parked for a few hours since we didn't have operating charts for temps that high.

TFF

My dad lived in Pheonix for 19 years. I went to visit one summer and he “made” me go ride his horse while he was at work. 122F. The guy that ran the farm was looking at me like I was crazy for doing it. I was but I wasn’t going to get into logic. Of course my grandfather, an avid golfer, said he hit his 6 th hole in one on the hottest day of the year. He would play the good courses in the summer because no one would be out in the crazy heat, no waiting for a T time.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I refuse to live my life in fear. Take the trip and have fun. Rough it and stay away from people as much as possible.
I do the same for rattlesnakes and bears.
I hear you Pops, but a rattlesnake or bear kills me at the time. They likely wouldn't make my wife or coworkers or grand kids sick (much less me). I made a similar trip with no qualms 15 years ago to pick up my sailboat from Atlanta, GA. There was flooding and heavy rain from STL on down to Chattanooga, And on the way back, I almost lost the trailer in the Smokey mountains. That was a great trip, and I slept like a rock on the overnight stays both ways.

Armilite

================

One Option, Fly Commercial out of KC 5hrs 25min $234 out, or take a train or Bus out, then Rent Uhaul Truck out there and drive it back Home. Just Wear a Mask when around other People and Bio Wipe your hands and Bio Spray and Wipe your Truck. You can also Rent a Container and have it Truck Shipped. I had a 55 Chevy shipped years ago by Truck Freight NJ to Des Moines for $950.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I refuse to live my life in fear. Take the trip and have fun. Rough it and stay away from people as much as possible.
I do the same for rattlesnakes and bears.
Hah! I was chased by a bear last weekend. I was out hiking off trail looking for wild mushrooms when he saw me and headed for me at a trot, I decided I'd rather be somewhere else. He kept following me until I was out of sight over the ridge. My neighbor the park ranger says the bears have been a big problem lately in that area to the point that they've prohibited camping in the area.