• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Narrowing the Choices, Shortening the List...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohawk

Part of my Plan is to have my wife on board as I take on a homebuilding project. The two of us can share the building experience, then enjoy the flying together afterward.

Last night I went over the various aircraft I was considering. The idea is to get something we agree on.

After discussion, we decided on a high wing so we can better enjoy the view & scenery. There went the Vision (it seems like a pretty outstanding design, with 44" of elbowroom and very respectable performance).

After further review, she isn't keen on an open cockpit (drat!). There went the Deuce.

So, from my list of plans-built projects, we ended up with these choices for a two-place, closed cabin, high-wing aeroplane:

- The Zenith 701.

- The Falconar AMF-14H Maranda.

- The Bearhawk Patrol.

The first two qualify as LSA, so I could continue to operate them if I lost my medical one day (which is the normal order of things in latter years).

Odds are I'd be ecstatic with any of them. For useable load and fuel capacity (range) the Patrol takes the prize. I'd like more payload out of the 701, but it does have some other seling points (see my other thread on my Hangar Crisis). The Maranda has a W-I-D-E cabin.

There are more decisions and lots of actual work ahead, but I'll call it a step toward progress...

Back