Quantcast

Narfi's Scratch Built Zenith 750 Super Duty

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

narfi

Log Member
An old friend showed up this weekend, so took him and his girlfriend out on the lake. (a lot more fun than cleaning and burning trash)
Another friend finished the video he made of the boat we made, which turned out pretty nice.(the video)

Yesterday after work I was able to finish cleaning out the tent from the last projects and get some of the fiberglass dust chased out.
Just need to put some legs under the old strongback to make the table and get it leveled.

20200921_175816.jpg

Might start ordering stuff this afternoon.

narfi

Log Member
Home Depot: $950
Amazon: $900
Aircraft Spruce $5400

Not sure how I want to separate expenses, but some of the long term tools I don't want to count against the airplane, but still I wouldn't be buying them if I wasn't building it. So I will keep two numbers I guess..... Aircraft Spruce was mostly aluminum and rivets, but also ~1k worth of tools, I will count all the HD and amazon towards tools.

Total time spent building: 0 hours
Total Cost: $8190
Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5340
Tools, etc.. I will keep for future projects: $2850

Next up getting some legs under the table and setting up all the tools when they arrive.
I need to make a rack for storing all the aluminum I just purchased as well.
Need to make some flanging dies,
flangedies2.jpg

Something I have been thinking about, I do want to prime everything. I guess it is controversial, but I have had to clean and replace lots of aluminum during my carrier due to corrosion, so it is something I want to do.
Is there a good, thin, cost effective, epoxy primer that comes in multiple colors? would be nice to look inside a wing or tail section and be able to see the different parts contrasted in different colors.

TFF

Is the corrosion because of ocean proximity, or spilled coke and blue juice? I know Airbus does not use Alclad, SAAB didn’t either, so they corrode pretty quick. I have seen some corroded ga planes but they usually lived by the ocean in warm waters. Alaska cold tends to be a good preservative.

narfi

Log Member
proximity to ocean as well as spilled stuff..... as you can imagine anything you find in a grocery store or hardware store we put in our planes, otherwise we cant get it home, obviously that doesn't effect most areas of the plane, but salt mists do, and this will be landed on the beaches during low tide.

TFF

Beats finding 100 gallons of blue juice under the floor. At least it was un-used.
At a regional I worked at, they had to reskin the whole side because of lots of corrosion found during a repaint. Bad enough that the plane went back on line and was made last plane to go in. Had to be fixed in house before paint. Never had been done before so the factory came in and did it.

Victor Bravo

Considering the kind of use that an airplane like this will get in Alaska, I'd say that some sort of corrosion protection is wise. A lot of people use epoxy primers, wash primers, self-etch spray primer, etc. But a couple of gallons of epoxy weighs something significant, what 20 or 30 pounds? I have very little experience flying in Alaska, but I do know that there can wasily be hundreds of miles between fuel availability. So if the airplane has an extra 20-30 poundsof allowable useful load which is used for fuel, it probably adds up to being far more valuable up there than it would down here inCalifornia.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Aging Aircraft Issues webinar has something to say about this issue worth watching I feel.
An old friend had a Cessna 150 150 factory float kit, it was primed inside with zinc chromate, I believe.

PagoBay

An often overlooked solution to corrosion protection.

I used ACF50 on my LSA with outstanding results where surface corrosion on the wing had started due to a leaky container. Stopped the corrosion 100%. ACF50 specifically says it neutralizes saltwater. Saves weight. Fogged in after painting. Easy to maintain protection as needed. Creeps even into rivet shanks.
Jon Croke of Homebuilt Help -
Stopping Corrosion in Metal Aircraft

Here is a 1.5 minute video of a test in salt water:

Reactions: BJC

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
An old friend showed up this weekend, so took him and his girlfriend out on the lake. (a lot more fun than cleaning and burning trash)
Another friend finished the video he made of the boat we made, which turned out pretty nice.(the video)

Yesterday after work I was able to finish cleaning out the tent from the last projects and get some of the fiberglass dust chased out.
Just need to put some legs under the old strongback to make the table and get it leveled.

View attachment 102056

Might start ordering stuff this afternoon.
WOW! Talk about clearing the decks. Last time I looked at that space it was almost up to your knees in sawdust and off cuts. Nice!

BTW, ramp checked the V35 yesterday. So smooth and strong. Started in like 2 blades. Gotta love 70 year old tech. All systems checked out perfecto. Thanks.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Still going through little things. ADSB next up and last probably tail stinger SkyBeacon.

narfi

Log Member
Got the rack for the aluminum put together with a bonus shelf on top.

20200925_175253.jpg

narfi

Log Member
Turned the 3x14' strongback into a 4x16' table.
Unboxed and assembled the bandsaw, belt sander, drill press, and vise.

20200926_164550.jpg

Don't think I want the tools permenantly mounted to the table in my smallish work area so have them setto the side for now except when I am using them. Will probably mount them on individual castered tables once the shop is built.

Mad MAC

I would vote primer and alodine in high value places (spars, hard to inspect etc), and one or the other on easier to replace / inspect / less critical parts.

Any body got experience on airframes that work hard and use ACF-50. Those fluids do impact fatigue life (theres a fatigue curve showing a 50% reduction for WD-40 in lap joints, though most of the data is for airliner fuse lap joints and those are likely to be less sensitive that GA joints).

narfi

Log Member
I dont like the oil fogging strategy. I've not seen it done without smoking rivets and skins.