• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Naming Your Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo

I’m facing a dilemma that you may have experienced: what to name your new aircraft and/or website. I’ve designed a high performance two seat canard aircraft and decided long ago to call it the “Apollo”. I even registered apolloaircraft.com ten years ago. But now there’s another company called Apollo Aircraft that sells Apollo LSAs. I registered apollocanard.com as an alternative name to avoid market confusion, but I’m not sure I want to brand the aircraft with the “canard” label.

I’ve been searching for other names. I went thru the list of old aircraft, birds of all kinds, Greek Gods and celestial objects (love the Orion name but don’t want to alienate HIM). I’ve even gone thru the dictionary word by word in my quest for a cool name, thus confirming to my wife that I really am crazy. Most of the aircraft names that I like are already taken, including their corresponding domain names. I discovered that nexusaircraft.com was not registered and I’d love to call my plane the Nexus. But Ron Gowan is developing a canard aircraft called the Nexus that he plans to market, so I can’t call it that now.

I also considered naming my aircraft the FoxHawk or FoxFalcon. This appeals to my ego because my last name is Fox and using Fox in the name creates a separate identity from all the other Hawk and Falcon aircraft. But then my logo would logically want to be a mythical half-fox, half-bird creature, which is pretty cool but not quite the right image for an advanced/modern composite aircraft. Besides, I already have a great logo and it’s not consistent with those names.

Obviously the aircraft and website/company name can be completely different, but then there are TWO names to envision/create! I have a short list of names that I’m considering but I’m not too proud to ask for suggestions. Also, what do you think of the names discussed above?

If you know any stories about how other designers derived the name of their aircraft, please share. Surely I’m not the only one that has experienced this type of identity crisis!

Thanks - Mike

Back