Name the plane.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TarDevil

Here’s one a lot of you have probably seen, but can you remember what it is? I would hang out with the designer and watch some of the development build on this. At one point in the build, he had one of the gear collapse while he was working on it; it literally drive him to a heart attack, which put a delay on the build while he was recovering in the hospital.

The gray one is the original. The guessing board is now open...

View attachment 92818 View attachment 92819 View attachment 92820
Love this plane!

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Here's one for you and I'll even offer a big hint. It's a single-seat kit plane designed, built, and sold by a major aircraft manufacturer.

mystery 2.jpg

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I say "Tipsy" brand, because of the dihedral. No idea what model.

I also will guess that their advertising department likely used Rosie O'Donnell or Pancho Barnes as the good-looking girl for their ads.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Love this plane!
There was one (the prototype, I think) at Cox Field in Apex, NC in the 2000’s. The engine was off, and the project was idle. Also a White Lightning and a MM I with an IO-360 in the same hangar, same owner.

BTW, do you know Bobby Cox? I haven’t seen him since I retired to Florida.

BJC

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hehe, VB, nope, not even the right country as the Tipsy planes were from Belgium. As for the looks, well, that nosewheel strut doesn't just look like it's off to one side, it is.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Resembles a Chipmunk well a Chipmunk that had a bad upbringing and then got beat with an ugly stick, so I guess it is a De-Havilland of some sort?

BJC

HBA Supporter
When I was a teenager, I thought that I wanted a Tipsy Nipper. Then I saw one, and realized that I am too tall for it.

BJC

TarDevil

There was one (the prototype, I think) at Cox Field in Apex, NC in the 2000’s. The engine was off, and the project was idle. Also a White Lightning and a MM I with an IO-360 in the same hangar, same owner.

BTW, do you know Bobby Cox? I haven’t seen him since I retired to Florida.

BJC
Don't think I met Bobby.

You mentioned the plane in Apex previously... we have friends and family in the area. I need to go see it.

lr27

The way it sits on the ground reminds me of some Aermacchi designs. (Not sure I've got that spelled right.) It sure looks uglier than other Aermacchi designs, though.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
When I was a teenager, I thought that I wanted a Tipsy Nipper. Then I saw one, and realized that I am too tall for it.

BJC
Its like a VW Bug, the ugly grows on you.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
It's been over 24 hours and no one has come close on my mystery plane in post #123 above, so....

It's a 1946 Morane Saulnier MS.660, a misguided attempt by one of France's last remaining private aviation concerns at that time (many others having been nationalized) to provide an inexpensive single-seater ready to fly or in kit form. Just one was built, and a revised and somewhat sleeker MS.661 followed in 1947 but neither one really went anywhere. Surplus light aircraft like Piper L-4s (Cubs) and others had flooded the market and there was not a lot of extra money in people's pockets after the war. Still, it's one of the rare examples of a major manufacturer catering to amateur builders. You can see in the 3-views most clearly that the design was made as a series of subassemblies to facilitate building in a small work space or even on the kitchen table.

ms660-1.jpg
ms660-2.jpg
MS-660.gif
MS-661.gif
9463.jpg

TFF

Over on the Aerodrome WWI site the have guess the crashed airplane picture contest. Crazy obscure stuff.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Huh, I just realized that no one took the bait on this one: Bagalini Baganfibio, a wood-and-fabric, two-stroke powered, amphibious two-seater, at least as long as both folks are svelte since useful load is just 169 kg/372 lb from which you have to subtract 19 kg/42 lb for the whopping 7 gallons of fuel. Still, it would make a great single-seat adventure machine with room for some camping gear and the low-speed handling to get in and out of small lakes. Bagalini Baganfibio - Wikipedia

Here's another one...any takers?

mystery.jpg