Name the plane.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TarDevil

Well, since I don’t visit the biplane forum anymore, and since I (think) know that design since long before the biplane forum was created, I’ll venture an opinion.

Stolp Acroduster with a Cessna gear.

BJC
When he said "Only 2 ever built" would a landing gear modification qualify as a unique build?

I agree, it looks like the Acroduster with either Cessna or Grove gear, but there's a few of those biplanes around.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Agree; more likely a Grove gear.

Mike Heuer had an off-field landing in the prototype, but the prototype didn’t have an enclosed cockpit with modified turtledeck, spring gear, or constant speed prop.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The paint job and rudder shape looks like Stolp, but it lacks the Aeronca Champ style forward slant (anti-servo) portion of the rudder.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The Acroduster (single seat) has a straight rudder LE.

Mcmark, fess up.

BJC
I think the Acroduster still had the tab, but I believe it is the Super Starduster SA-101 which has the straight hinge line, and there were certainly fewer of the Super built. I still have the original Starduster catalog I got from Bill Clouse... I’ll pull it out and see if it has the SA-101 in it.

The photo is a little makes it look like the bubble is almost wide enough to seat two people side by side.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
I never heard of the Super Starduster, so I looked it up. It, like the plane in question here, has aileron servos, and a spring gear, so that must be what it is.

I still think that the Acroduster (single) has a straight rudder LE.

BJC

TFF

The big main difference between the Acroduster One and the Super Starduster is the fuselage. Acroduster One has an aluminum fuselage copying the Midget Mustang while the Super is chrome moly. This is not Aluminium.

Mcmark

231CDB90-8182-4448-AB64-FBE1E30623DB.jpeg I was waiting for somebody to take a swing.
Super Starduster SA101 is what it is.
Tom has it right, the fuse was a completely new design at the time with the Acroduster 1 wings but added symmetrical ailerons instead the original friese. This one has the slave struts routed internally thru the I Struts. The other was built by Les Homan who raced it at Reno late '80's.
The design was to compete with the S1T, but the biplane was falling out of favor in the world level of competition. This one placed 7th out of 15 at Fond du Lac in '84 against mostly Pitts airplanes. There was not that much time on it at that point.
Tom Green was the builder and he and his son Dick had built several Starduster airplanes, all award winning.
I still haven't seen it, still en route home from WA state. No fwf. The race motor from the Smith with some mods and a FP prop. Have to work out CG cause my fwf is lighter.IMG_4565.JPG

BJC

HBA Supporter
Nice, Mark.

Keep us posted on your progress.

What are those other wings in the truck for?

BJC

Mcmark

Tom Womack is the gent bringing the airplane east. Bought a Clipt Cub in OR and advertised wanting to cut his costs on BS. He also has a Super Cub wing in there as well. I asked and got a favorable rate hauling it to PA.
Tom was a member of the Red Barons until they disbanded.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I thought that they looked like clipped Cub wings, but I'm not really a Cub guy, and the root rib didn't look like Piper to me.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
View attachment 92807 I was waiting for somebody to take a swing.
Super Starduster SA101 is what it is.
Tom has it right, the fuse was a completely new design at the time with the Acroduster 1 wings but added symmetrical ailerons instead the original
View attachment 92806

I think the Acroduster still had the tab, but I believe it is the Super Starduster SA-101 which has the straight hinge line, and there were certainly fewer of the Super built. I still have the original Starduster catalog I got from Bill Clouse... I’ll pull it out and see if it has the SA-101 in it.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
BJC said:
I think the Acroduster still had the tab, but I believe it is the Super Starduster which has the straight hinge line, and there were certainly fewer of the Super built. I still have the original Starduster catalog I got from Bill Clouse... I’ll pull it out and see if it has the SA-101.
I think that the quote markers got out of place; not my words.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I think that the quote markers got out of place; not my words.

BJC
Thanks, fixed.

I was having trouble getting a correct quote (probably due to doing this on a iPhone). Everytime I went in to try to fix my error, it would keep dropping in the wrong thing from memory. In fact, when I was trying quote mine, I accidentally wiped out most of the original post and had to paste it back in.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
BMCJ, that is a two place with the front pit covered. See post #115 for the single place rudder.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
BMCJ, that is a two place with the front pit covered. See post #115 for the single place rudder.

BJC
I was just pulling some photos to show the rudder (tab) shape I was talking about. I will concede that I am not sure if the single seat plans call for this rudder as well.

Reactions: BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Here’s one a lot of you have probably seen, but can you remember what it is? I would hang out with the designer and watch some of the development build on this. At one point in the build, he had one of the gear collapse while he was working on it; it literally drive him to a heart attack, which put a delay on the build while he was recovering in the hospital.

The gray one is the original. The guessing board is now open...

DABDE581-8609-4F5A-AC23-84F151F4115A.jpeg B04B2B18-DC3B-49EA-B596-3FFF780D4097.jpeg 47AAA2B5-F4C0-44D3-9EBD-523A60D928BD.jpeg