Name that tiny airplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hehe, I figured you'd take the bait, Lynn. ;-) I think a replica of any generation of the Comper Swift would generate a lot of interest. I have always preferred the non-Pobjoy models, both the delicate early Scorpion model that you mentioned and the muscular later Gipsy Swift. The latter might be more suitable to a "plus size" version for larger pilots perhaps using a readily-available auto engine like the 1.3 liter Suzuki conversions (100 hp Aeromomentum AM13 and others).

1618859016886.png

Last edited:

flitzerpilot

Yes, the Aeromomentum motor offers many possibilities for a wide range of classical replicas! But maybe I should check to see whether my recently abandoned Sperry fin would match the curve of the original Swift - at the appropriate scale!

wktaylor

Help!

Oshkosh 1974, I took a photo of this cute 2-place SBS/retractable all-wood homebuilt... N12RP. I have no earthly idea as to what is or who built it... except I suspect that RP are initials.

The N-number was re-assigned to a Learjet in the 1980s... so I have reached a dead-end. Anyone have a clue?

N12RP~OSH1974.jpg

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
If you scroll down in the FAA N-number record is shows another deregistered listing:

DEREGISTERED AIRCRAFT
Deregistered Aircraft 1 of 1
Aircraft Description
Serial Number1Certificate Issue DateNone
Manufacturer NameREPLOGLEMode S Code (base 8 / oct)50051336
ModelREP-2Mode S Code (base 16 / hex)A052DE
Year ManufacturerNoneCancel Date07/20/1987
Reason For CancellationUnknownExport ToNone
Type RegistrationUnknown

Myrle Replogle was known in EAA circles for his Gold Bug ultralight-type aircraft powered by three (!) West Bend two-stroke engines and later repowered with a single VW conversion. I didn't find anything on the REP-2, so I thought this might be a project by the same gentleman, who passed away in 1990.

I was wrong, however, as Aerofiles has these entries:

Replogle
Ralph Replogle, Camden IN.
1930 = 3pOM; 60hp Gnôme rotary. [11111].
From son Wayne Replogle comes info that the plane was built from purchased plans (type unstated) by his father and several other young lads. After taxi trials, its first flight ended at a fence that removed the undercarriage, after which it was consigned to a barn, with ultimate disposition unknown. (— John M Jarratt 3/19/02)

Replogle
Merle Replogle, Osceola IN.
Gold Bug c.1969 = 1pOhwM; VW motor; no data. [N68642].

Golden Bullet GB-1 1958 = 1pCB; 65hp Continental A-65-8; span: 19'0" length: 17'6" load: 330# v: 140/80/55 range: 150. [N9090C].

Replogle
E H Replogle, no location.
REP-2 1977 = 2pClwM rg; 72hp VW; span:23'5" length: 18'0" load: 423# v: 142/124/76 range: 450; ff: 6/x/72. [N12RP]

So it looks like was by someone else, perhaps related, but you at least have a few specs.

Cheers,

Matthew

BJC

HBA Supporter
Myrle Replogle was known in EAA circles for his Gold Bug ultralight-type aircraft powered by three (!) West Bend two-stroke engines and later repowered with a single VW conversion.
I was talking to Myrle immediately after he arrived at either Rockford or Oshkosh for the annual EAA convention with the VW powered Gold Bug. He rummaged through the cockpit and emerged with a spray can of gold colored spray paint, and proceeded to touch-up the paint job.

BJC