Name that tiny airplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

Found this in a book today. The Caption says Caproni Ca.90, which is the big one, but what’s the tiny airplane that’s somehow pulling off being smaller and cuter than a Comper Swift?
8BD944F3-8664-4853-A2C7-30DFA1872F14.jpeg

flitzerpilot

This super little aeroplane appears to be an Italian cantilever copy of a Comper Swift but somewhat smaller into the bargain. I have tried to find out more about it in the past without success. Maybe an Italian HBA contributor could help.

Bill-Higdon

This super little aeroplane appears to be an Italian cantilever copy of a Comper Swift but somewhat smaller into the bargain. I have tried to find out more about it in the past without success. Maybe an Italian HBA contributor could help.
I also know I've seen it before rather recently but I can't find out where, I'd love to see more on it

Tiger Tim

I’ve since learned that the Ca.90 was the largest airplane in the world at the time which makes me wonder if maybe the little guy was touted as the smallest.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Drum roll please...it's a Fongri de Grignani "la motocicletta aerea" (air motorcycle) from 1931. I knew I had seen it somewhere before.

Fongri.png Fongri data.png FONGRI de grignani.jpg

More info and pics (Google translate is your friend):

patrickrio

cute little airplane. weighs 308lbs empty. How many horsepower is that 850cc engine? I can see that the engine operates at 2600rpm and reduction drive is about 1.8:1 for a prop 1420rpm.

patrickrio

10hp sounds like it should be in the vicinity of truth. This is an 850cc 4 stroke from the 1920s that is doing 2600rpm. It won't have the hp/cc of a modern engine at 2600rpm for sure. I just wanted to see if there were actually published numbers, thanks.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That 308 lb airframe was likely flying a pilot that weighed about half that much. I think we'd need to scale that one up 125% or even 150% for modern folks. Maybe we can persuade Lynn Williams that the Flitzer needs an Italian parasol stablemate. ;-)

flitzerpilot

Hi Matt,

I did design a full-size 'fixed-wing' Comper Swift lookalike many moons ago for a pair of highly modified Currie Wot wings, altered from a 42" Clark YH to to a 48" Clark Y (ie. Swift aerofoil) but just a few % slimmer due to the chord increase. I still have the wings, one of which is part-modified with full profile-depth spars but lacking its D-cell at present. The spar/strut location was moved inboard from the CW position as necessary. The idea was to use a VW to represent a Scorpion and use the elegant low profile curved fin and rudder and narrow chord high pressure tyres of the early examples. Fuselage was to have been in one piece, rather than bolted together in sections, and rigidly warren-braced, etc. At the time a Pobjoy P was offered for sale.

But I've probably mentioned this before... :0)

Latest posts