• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Naive Prop Questions (effects of prop length)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teknosmurf

I currently have a composite prop that I am not very fond of, and I want to switch to a wood prop. The composit is 64" long, and I estimate about 48" pitch (it is an adjustable prop).

I have access to a 60"x60" wood prop. This would give me some much desired extra ground clearance (the 64" gives me about 5" of clearance currently). Also, after running the different props through a calculator, I see the performance difference should be more cruise speed, but less thrust.

Now...I have read that thrust numbers are not very informative. So I take that reading with a grain of salt.

The travel speed is estimated to go from 120mph to 155mph. This indicates possibly the difference of going from climb to cruise prop...not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, the "required horsepower" goes from about 150HP, to about 109HP in these calculations, which is more inline with my 100HP O-200.

My questions are: Is there anything I should be concerned with when putting a 60" prop on a setup that was typically designed for a 68" prop? What kind of realistic aircraft performance characteristic chages should I expect to encounter should I try this particular set of prop changes? Are there any other "pitfalls" to be aware of when doing the test flying?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Back