Mysterious Issue Is Causing Paint To Peel Off Of Airbus A35o's

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Title is wrong, the paint was not peeling, according to the article. A hidden defect was found under the paint after a paint shop removed the topcoats.

Dan Thomas

From that article:

Qatar Airways has had a lengthy dispute with Airbus over paint quality problems that it says led to deterioration in composite areas of its Airbus A350 aircraft. The airline has grounded 20 of the planes and put half of its retired fleet of A380s back into the sky to fill the gaps.

A380s retired already? Really?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Maybe it’s the same white paint and primer that GMC used on their trucks around 1989-1991. Mine peeled badly. It even shed the paint from the hood in one big piece while going down the highway.

Hephaestus

If you did the prep work this guy actually did pretty good quality work. I had more than one friend in high school that did excellent paint jobs on their cars by doing excellent prep work
The cheap paint shops are actually pretty **** good for application. My mgb is still rocking a 90's maaco paintjob (brg of course) - did the rust repairs and prep myself, probably easiest paintjob I've ever had to take the orange peel off. Their painters were good - of course they had to be to paint 8+ cars a day. It now has a coat of clear over top - And that was a bloody gong show.

I've paid a WHOLE LOT more to have much less long lasting and much worse paintjobs done by other shops.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I think one of my favorite paint jobs was a window van that started with good prep but no masking …. None at all! Even the windshield and tail lights were completely painted over!
After it had a while to dry and harden I think they used exacto or similar to cut a lot of berry fine pattern work on the glass surfaces.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I was about to say that if you remember Earl Scheib, you're old. Then I Googled Earl Scheib and found his paint shop in Portland, OR. Old Earl must be in his hundreds now - LOL.
I'm old enough to know that Cesar Romero is The Joker, "Conventional" means the little wheel is in the back, and "slow flight" means that the buzzer is on instead of off!

Island_flyer

From that article:

. . .The airline has grounded 20 of the planes and put half of its retired fleet of A380s back into the sky to fill the gaps.

A380s retired already? Really?
Some other airlines will probably be using them for another decade or two. But Qatar Airways' chief Akbar Al Baker stated in an interview a few months back that buying the A380 was probably their biggest mistake. Passengers love it for its spaciousness and quietness, but Qatar's strategy differs from that of Emirates and the former was finding it hard to fill them up on the routes it flies. The large twins from the A team and B team were more profitable.