My workbench build! Sorry long and lots-a-pics.

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by skeeter_ca, Sep 7, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 7, 2008 #21

jimw

jimw

jimw

I needed a metal vise detachable for the same reasons. I bolted it to a piece of 3/4" plywood and clamp it to the corner of the bench. It stayed there except for rare occasions. I have done the same with several other tools that are used only periodically. We had a wood vise bolted to the end of our big bench before we had to disassemble it (space issue). Loved having that wood vise there.

By the way, I think it's a nice bench. I did hold the bottom shelf back about a foot on one side of ours. It makes it nice to sit in front of the bench on a stool for welding smaller projects, etc. You can do that on the next one.

2. Sep 8, 2008 #22

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Dont let the lack of a 'lip' deter you. many benches dont have lips. If you need to hold/clamp peices, you use 'dog holes' and a 'Hold Down Clamp' as pictured:

[​IMG]

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=31149&cat=1,43838,43847&ap=1

Here's how I did my wood vise(s). Doesnt 'swing out of the way', but still works good and doesnt get in the way. Face and 'tail' vise (not my actual bench):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sep 9, 2008 #23

Lee Schaumberg

Lee Schaumberg

Lee Schaumberg

Hello All
    Nice bench Skeeter and thanks for the ( worth a thousand word pictures). Also thanks to midniteoyl for the pictures of the neat hold downs. They are a lot better than the break off edge that many people use. Now all we need is another 8 foot bench that can be joined to the existing bench to make some thing 16 feet long when you want but easy to seperate to make 2 eight foot benches. When coupled the top has to be perfectly flat of course. How about a little wheeled bech that holds the vise and tools.The list goes on and on but you can't fly a bench!

4. Sep 9, 2008 #24

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Here is what I did:

I bought 3 engineered floor joists from the local construction supply company and took them down to a saw mill to be trued up. They did this by clamping them together and running one side through the saw together. This is the edge I used to support the two 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch MDF. MDF is pretty dimensionally accurate so it butts together without two many problems. It's a 15 foot table so each of the 9 legs are adjustable to fine tune it's level and flatness. I was happy to find that using strings I could adjust the table to within a 1/6th of inch of flat over the whole span. Necessary? Probably not, but it's cool....:gig:

One thing to note about the picture below. I took the picture before adding the required supports underneath. I'd take some more pictures but I'm moving in 3 days and they are buried!

Attached Files:

5. Sep 10, 2008 #25

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

I went to the local lumber yard (not a homedepot) and asked about the engineered floor joist. They did not have any but could order some. They were about $60.00 per 16 foot section (ouch). That is why i settled for the 2x6's.

skeeter