• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My Safety Concerns About Bubble Canopies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKoit

Hi everybody,

My boys and I are finally at a place where we can start a build, and this topic has been on my mind.

We've been looking at Zenith 650s for a long time, and also like the Sling 2, Sonex and the RV-12. Problem is, they're ALL bubble canopy planes, and I just can't get comfortable with the fact that if we ever have to put it down in a field somewhere and it flips...we're trapped in the aircraft.

I know there are canopy breakers, and have read what I can in several forums (however I haven't found much, almost like this is sort of taboo), but how effective are they, and do they really make it possible to get yourself extracted from an inverted plane? Are there other methods/tools/ideas that address this issue?

I'd love to hear from bubble canopy owners and non-bubble canopy owners alike...and has anyone ever let a bubble canopy design dissuade you and steer you in a different direction? Because of this we've started considering the 750 CruZer instead...even though the boys like the 650 more.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Back