• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My Pitts project- a little update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally

I thought I would pass along an update on how my Pitts S-1 is coming.

Lately I have been struggling to come up with the right combination of tubing and AN fuel fittings to get from the tank to the engine. The last 4 times I opened the package from Aircraft Spruce I go "Duh, what was I thinking when I ordered that fitting" and "Dang, I am going to need 3 more of those thingies".

I think I have it almost sorted out now. I am using a Holly Blue fuel pump and 13 psi regulator with a check valve to bypass all of it. I have a Bendix PS5C pressure carb of unknown condition for the engine. A new engine-driven pump is on my Christmas wish list too.

I also just bought the correct landing gear bungee cords. Wow, are they short, fat and stout! Some previous owner put some on but they are way too small. I did talk to a guy I work with who has an installation tool. They look to be almost impossible to strech in place without it.

I also bought a used engine flywheel from a place called ENPARTS in TX. Nice folks. Of course the old starter I have doesn't match my "new" 149 tooth flywheel. Oh, well, I really need a lightweight one anyway - yep, another $400.00 on the visa.

I needed it before I could start on the engine cowling Then a little more cockpit work. And then it should be about time to take it out of my garage and to the airport. I have the flying wires so I can put the wings on kinda permanently.

Still a bunch to go but if I can just keep doing a little bit every chance I have, maybe some day it will all be done. Fun, fun and more fun.
Wally

Back