My pico-light Flying Bike

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TheFlyingBikeGuy

Thank you all for your input.

I should note that this is designed to exploit ground effect. Basically to get a sense of flying from feeling that 'float' at the end of a jump.

I also have a full face helmet, body armor and a HANS device. So full BMX racing protection.

My air is going to be too dirty to put a fin in the back center. I have wingtip fins in mind but also was thinking of covering the wheels (like a track bike) and see what I can get with that. But later.

CG on a bike moves fore and aft pretty quickly and my software delivers data on that in real time. As to weather the processor is fast enough,,,how other folks do this shows that it probably is ,,, but real world testing is needed.

Again thanks for letting me post in an airplane forum. A WIG is technically a boat but the folks at the homebuilt canoe boards were'nt as knowledgeable as you all here.

Thanks again.

Edit: I did a couple crosswind landings in a 2-33 when I was soloing as a student pilot. I'd rather land on one wheel in a crosswind than 2.

Last edited:

addaon

Supporting Member
Processor speed is not the concern, servo speed is. Your control logic has built in assumptions about maximum servo lag, and can diverge (oscillate, etc) if those assumptions are not met.

Good luck!

TFF

Why are not the wheelspokes filled in to be rudder and fin. It really needs to be configured like a canard. At some point it has to rotate to get in the air. It has to rotate on the back wheel or both wings need to be positive angle of attach to rise. Controls are leverage that move the craft about the center, which is the CG. The craft will need to rotate around that point. If the leverage too strong around the CG, one way or the other, it blows over or it pushes itself onto the ground and can’t lift. When one side is too powerful, the other side is too weak. More like a unicycle balance.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

Why are not the wheelspokes filled in to be rudder and fin. It really needs to be configured like a canard. At some point it has to rotate to get in the air. It has to rotate on the back wheel or both wings need to be positive angle of attach to rise. Controls are leverage that move the craft about the center, which is the CG. The craft will need to rotate around that point. If the leverage too strong around the CG, one way or the other, it blows over or it pushes itself onto the ground and can’t lift. When one side is too powerful, the other side is too weak. More like a unicycle balance.
Thats what I had on an older set of wheels. I used canvas and glue and had a beautiful 'disk wheel' type cap. The canvas streches realy nicely, but it started to lift off the greasy metal wheel. I need to get a different glue or rough up and clean the surface better. I cant use epoxy. I'm nearing sensitization. I cant even be near cynoacrylic...but thats another thread.

Anyhow that said. I have never seen a front rudder and think it would be cool to try when I get the other stuff working.

Servo lag is something I had not worried about. Because I didn't really think about it. Something on the list of bug points. Thank you. I do worry about flutter and have a dampened gain built into how I prep the number I send the servos. I've read enough about flutter to hope I don't have to deal with it though. Everything I've read is that it can be a real bugger.

Edit, the fool I am! Santos Dumont Bis. 2 or 4 was a canard rudder.
Edit2, Santos Dumont 14-bis had the canard rudder. Could never remeber the portuguese numbering syste.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBikeGuy

This is the bike before setup and after an 8km (oops 8000 km, a singularly american mistake) trip to Rome.

F238BE34-166A-4B26-B06F-1612E02CD097.jpeg
My son talking about it with the Maker Faire crowd.
F1FAFB22-8195-4B9A-AD24-7D737773EE28.jpeg
After setup with my son leading a technical talk

Last edited:

TheFlyingBikeGuy

No offense but I think you created a better son and dad project over flying machine. That part is a success.
None taken. That was goal #1. I also created a good target for grumpy flyboy ire*.

Edit, *thats a joke btw.

Edit2, here is a nice article.

I have 22 4412 ribs made in exacting standards, brass nails, aircraft spruce etc... Using them now that I have this scale prototype. Our winter project.

Last edited:

Aesquire

I'm a heavier guy than you, and not as creative.

But I can tell you a bicycle from the ancient times when I traded a Sears 26" bike for a banana seat knockoff of a Stingray with a 3 speed hub, ( not the very cool 5 speed stick on the top tube ) and BMX was brand new, could fly !

I used a 15' Batso knockoff Rogallo wing, my first real hang glider, and cable bracing replacing the hang cage with a 2x4" ( reverse kingpost ) clamped to the bicycle frame.

Not nearly as portable, but the wings folded into travel position into an overhead spear of doom for small critters in low trees.

Takeoff was relatively easy, but must be directly into the wind, so grassy slopes or very select hilly roads are needed.

Flight control was by awkward weight shift, and far less sophisticated than your project. In my defense, portable computers of the time were suitcase sized and needed a power cord.

The hard part, as in ALL aviation, was landing. It took very little sideways drift to ground loop.

Repairs to crashes was SOP. It flew! Unfortunately no video.

Have fun. Nice work.
Wear a helmet!

Btw, DON'T use a top tube mounted shifter! Or Anything! Just take my word for it to better your chances for future reproduction. :)

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Building the wing box. Bike travels in a bag as standard checked luggage. Wings fit in a box that is LxWxH = 112 inches. So travels as sporting equiptment for an extra 100 bux. Being able to break down and travel has been a design spec from the beginning.
View attachment 130430

Now that is how you put the flying bug in the younger generation. I did not realize till just now how sucdessful my dad was in creating a pilot. All these years I thought it was what I wanted to do!