My pico-light Flying Bike

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

Neat, but it looks like it’s going to come out tail heavy. Will the nose be ballasted at all?

TheFlyingBikeGuy

Neat, but it looks like it’s going to come out tail heavy. Will the nose be ballasted at all?
It looks tail heavy but the rear wing is lighter than the front. And,,, It's the same thread yes. I just didn't know where to post this last pict.

I have flapperons for the back (not installed in this photo). And there are servos on each flapperon that connect to a micro controller. If I am tail heavy the software will tell me and I can put more weight into the handlebars.

This is the second one I have made. And I plan on doing some tests with this where I may catch air,,,,maybe not. It's designed to take advantage of ground effect more that 'true flight'. The wings come off and the whole thing packs up into a bike bag and a wing bag. I am taking her to Rome next week for the Maker Faire.

There is still a lot of tweaks to do but I'm happy with the elements and I feel like there is some fun to have. Taking the testing slow a safe because its all new and unknown.

TFF

I personally think it will work better without the controls on the back. They seem awkward aerodynamically.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

I personally think it will work better without the controls on the back. They seem awkward aerodynamically.
I agree. But I designed the rear wing as a symmetric airfoil with flaps to try to get a sense of how much camber I will need in wing updates based on my flap deflection....clunky maybe but that was the plan and I need to see it through.

Edit, also I need some servos back there for other stuff and wanted the power and wiring routed back there anyway even if I end up reassigning the servos to another task.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks tail heavy but the rear wing is lighter than the front.
I don't think you understand... the center of gravity (balance point) of the entire aircraft including pilot must be within a certain range for the aircraft to be flyable. The usual range is around 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge of the front wing, you're nowhere near that. Too far back and it becomes dangerously unstable and uncontrollable. As it looks now, if you manage to achieve enough speed, the front wing will lift up, up, up... and the aircraft does a backflip with the rear wheel never leaving the ground and you land on your head before you even know what's happening.

The lack of a rudder also means zero yaw stability, and the lack of dihedral means zero roll stability.

Do yourself a favor and make a small hand tossed version, tape weights to it to see the effects of different balance points.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

I don't think you understand... the center of gravity (balance point) of the entire aircraft including pilot must be within a certain range for the aircraft to be flyable. The usual range is around 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge of the front wing, you're nowhere near that. Too far back and it becomes dangerously unstable and uncontrollable. As it looks now, if you manage to achieve enough speed, the front wing will lift up, up, up... and the aircraft does a backflip with the rear wheel never leaving the ground and you land on your head before you even know what's happening.

The lack of a rudder also means zero yaw stability, and the lack of dihedral means zero roll stability.

Do yourself a favor and make a small hand tossed version, tape weights to it to see the effects of different balance points.

proppastie

Supporting Member
this is obviously has a lot of work into it..... but really!!!!! what do you expect it to do??????....it will not fly.......if you get on the top of a hill and going down the hill do manage to lift off you may have serious potential for injury..... most likely it will flip backwards and you will be on your head perhaps dead.....

TheFlyingBikeGuy

It's a tandem wing design, software controls pitch and roll. I have tested that and it works. Closing on real world tests. Which may result in some mishaps but I don't think I will flip because I wont put myself into that sort of situation.
E4ED29B2-21AC-4730-B9AD-AC909BBAE8E5.jpeg
As far as yaw, yes, you are correct. I have no yaw control. Thats on my list and have a few modifications to make that will address that.

Thank you for your comments.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

this is obviously has a lot of work into it..... but really!!!!! what do you expect it to do??????....it will not fly.......if you get on the top of a hill and going down the hill do manage to lift off you may have serious potential for injury..... most likely it will flip backwards and you will be on your head perhaps dead.....
I've had enough friends die or get paralized to do my best to mitigate those threats. But thank you for your concerns.

goney3

Supporting Member
I think it's going to look AMAZING for Halloween! 🎃

addaon

Supporting Member
It's a tandem wing design, software controls pitch and roll.
Just repeating this because this is the key.

Folks, hobbiest-level augmented stability is here, it’s cheap, and it works pretty well if you don’t look at absolute reliability numbers.

We’ll see if this particular system can handle this level of instability (fast enough servos, etc)…. But the goal isn’t to build a conventional statically stable airplane.

That said, the yaw divergence will definitely build up quickly, and landing sidewise on a bike ain’t fun. Short hops.

addaon

Supporting Member
(You have redundant control with four surfaces, and if you’re using something sufficiently configurable you may be able to get some small amount of yaw control out of the extra actuator —front left and back right down, front right and back left up should be neutral (with correct gains) in roll and pitch, and cause some amount of yaw.)

dog

I've had enough friends die or get paralized to do my best to mitigate those threats. But thank you for your concerns.
the standard warning around here is
"carefull,you could end up dead,funny looking or
both" but usualy reserved for those who have faith in everything are impresionable
,eager to help ,and with absolutely no considerations of consiquences
the smart ones will blink twice,look at you
and blush