• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

my part 103 ultralight build -thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booky

Hey everybody, my name is Daedin and I plan to build a part 103 ultralight. I've been designing the ultralight for the past 11 months, and while that sounds like a long time note that I had school going on at the same time for 9 out of those 11 months, and school takes first priority. But I just finished with finals last week, and I can finally give my ultralight my full attention. So, I've been on HBA for a few months under a different account, I just figured that I ought to start a new account with correct details and everything. I've posted on the website before, and I love the community here! Everyone is so incredibly helpful, and I plan to be on here a lot more often because of that.
This thread is for questions I have about ultralight design, (I have a lot of them) and questions any of you guys might have about anything really.

So for my first question, can someone tell me how to estimate what my horizontal and vertical tail surface areas/volumes should be? I tried to use the vertical/horizontal tail sizing equations on pg 36 of Raymer's Simplified Aircraft Design For Homebuilders, but I couldn't tell what value I was supposed to put in for Swing, the wing area or the tail area? And why would I use the tail area in a problem that is meant to help me find the tail area? I tried the equation (pictured bellow) with the wing area for Swing, but I got a value of 39.16 ft^2, which doesn't sound right. Note that I have the tail 7.125 ft from the MAC, (or 5 ft from the trailing edge of the wing) a wing chord of 4.5 ft and a wing area of 124 ft^2.

Thank you, and I look forward to posting more on HBA!

Attachments

• deigne.JPG
    deigne.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 65
  • WIN_20210524_00_09_00_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210524_00_09_00_Pro.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 63
  • HBA horizontal tail area equation.JPG
    HBA horizontal tail area equation.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 43
Back