my part 103 ultralight build -thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

challenger_II

One thing I would NOT recommend is adding finely chopped fiberglass powder to the epoxy (specifically T88) to strengthen the joint... It has a tendency to GREATLY accelerate the cure time! :)

Hey everybody, I'm finally back from my vacation. Now its time to start building my plane. So, yesterday I went to Lowes with my dad and we bought enough wood for the first part of the plane. They did not have T-88 epoxy at Lowes, so my dad told me that I could just use the wood glue at home or some liquid nails that we had just bought and it would work just as well. I took a picture of the glues I have at hand bellow, if I want to use T-88 I'll have to order it online. So HBA, if I use the wood glue or the liquid nails will it work just as well as T-88?

Attachments

TFF

Almost everyone has to order T-88 unless you got a boat store that carries it. No to the liquid nails. The Tightbond 3 is used by some. I epoxy personally. I would say no to the other titebond too. Even if the plane never touches a drop of water, you build it like it has to live in the rain.

WonderousMountain

Some are using Vinyl Ester, mostly in Marine.

TiteBond III forms an excellent joint, but you
need to apply an entourage of C clamps, watch
shop temperature & humidity, the epoxy products
and other thermosets, are self infiltrating and less
dependant on clamp force & ideal temperature to
Bond.

I know because trying to set a trimaran with PU glue
was a travesty & material waste, it does not work out
of ideal conditions. Then you have so much cash in
and no good outcome. Welcome to hurry up and wait.

Sincerely,
CK LouPai

BobDaly

I found T88 sufficiently viscous so fillers aren't necessary provided your joints are tight. Do butter both parts to be joined and even let the epoxy go a little green and you won't have dry joints.

PTAirco

Stay away from Liquid Nails! At least in airplanes. Epoxy glues will be the most forgiving. Nothing you can find at a local store is really suitable for aircraft so get an Aircraft Spruce&Specialty catalog and order some.