• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My new (to me) Le Pelican Ultralight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcrow

I just wanted to share this with everyone.
I am 55 yrs old and have always loved aircraft. My dream was to build and fly my own aircraft one day. At about the age of 30, I received my Pilots License and shortly after that I purchased a set of Ran Robinson's KR2 plans. Well life got in the way and I never got the chance to build the KR2. After a few deployments to the desert I came home a little messed up and was forced to medically retire. Knowing that I would never be able to pass a medical exam, I started thinking about an ultralight. I have drawn a few of my own designs up on CAD, along with a few from different plans that I had purchased or downloaded. I still was not able to take the plunge and start buying aluminum. Then I found a picture of the "Le Pelican". This little plane just sort of sat with me. I really like the way it looked AND I like the performance numbers. (just a simple slow flyer)
I posted on here a couple of months ago trying to get some information on this plane, and started chatting with Percy (pwood66889) as he was currently in possession of a Le Pelican. I was trying to get down to his place (as I am just 4hrs away) to get some measurements, so that I would be able to reproduce the plane. Percy said just bring a trailer and I could pick the plane up. He was going to give me the plane? For free? After a week of planning (and it still hadn't sunk in) I was driving down to Fl. to pick up my plane. My free plane. I met Percy at a local Mexican restaurant, and bought him lunch. ( the very least I could do) Then we proceeded to his place to pick up my plane.
All while driving home, I kept looking in the rear view mirror still not believing that I finally have an airplane. Now she is not perfect, but totally restorable. It won't be until next summer until I can start the restoration, but I am going to document everything, and transfer everything to CAD. ( just so I will have back up parts if needed)
So here it is. God blesses us all in His time. When I came home from Iraq and could no longer work. I lost everything. (home,vehicles, ect) And like Job, God has blessed me ten fold. I struggled at times with my faith, because of the pain and depression, but God saw me through it all. My faith in Him is stronger now that it has ever been, as well as my love for Him. God answer prayers. That I believe. Thank you Percy for my little plane, and thank you God for putting Percy in my path.
Rev. Ken Ragan
VFW Post 658 Chaplainlp1.jpg lp2.jpg

Back